Re: [alto] Iotdir telechat review of draft-ietf-alto-new-transport-17

kaigao@scu.edu.cn Tue, 31 October 2023 04:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 12:14:28 +0800
From: kaigao@scu.edu.cn
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Cc: "iot-directorate@ietf.org" <iot-directorate@ietf.org>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>, "last-call@ietf.org" <last-call@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-alto-new-transport.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-alto-new-transport.all@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] Iotdir telechat review of draft-ietf-alto-new-transport-17

Hi Wesley,

Sorry for the delay. Here are the follow-up updates of your telechat review.

Regarding the relationship between TIPS and ALTO/SSE, we think that they can both transport incremental updates but offer different and complementary capabilities: TIPS is optimizing for throughput and ALTO/SSE is optimizing for latency (as server can push multiple updates without waiting for new requests from the client). As a matter of fact, these two extensions can be combined. Thus, our decision is that TIPS does not obsolete ALTO/SSE.

We propose some new text in Sec 1 to talk about the differences and relations and in Sec 6 to specify how they can be combined with an example. The proposed text in the introduction is as follows:

NEW:
   While ALTO/SSE [RFC8895] and TIPS both can transport incremental
   updates of ALTO information resources to clients, they have different
   design goals.  The TIPS extension enables more scalable and robust
   distribution of incremental updates, but is missing the session
   management and built-in server push capabilities of ALTO/SSE.  From
   the performance perspective, TIPS is optimizing throughput by
   leveraging concurrent and out-of-order transport of data, while ALTO/
   SSE is optimizing latency as new events can be immediately
   transferred to the clients without waiting for another round of
   communication when there are multiple updates.  Thus, we do not see
   TIPS as a replacement but as a complement of ALTO/SSE.  One example
   of combining these two extensions is as shown in Section 6.3.3.

Please let us know if this addresses your comments. Thanks!

Best,
Kai