Re: [alto] [ippm] Cost metrics in draft-wu-alto-te-metrics

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com> Thu, 21 July 2016 15:13 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com>
To: "joachim.fabini@tuwien.ac.at" <joachim.fabini@tuwien.ac.at>, Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:13:42 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [alto] [ippm] Cost metrics in draft-wu-alto-te-metrics

Hi Mirja and Joachim,

Another way to interpret what ALTO needs is to look at
cost metrics the same as link costs in routing.
Routing link costs are usually static and the values
might be set relative to some real metric like latency
or max link line rate. These involve no measurement at all.

So when they say:
   In this document, we proposes a set of Cost Metrics, derived and
   aggregated from routing protocols with different granularity and
   scope, such as BGP-LS,OSPF-TE and ISIS-TE, or from end to end traffic
   management tool.

only the last phrase implies measurement, with the long list of examples:

   We currently define 11 new Performance Metric to
   measure network delay, jitter, packet loss, hop count, and bandwidth.

None of these are new, and they are already defined in great detail
or ippm is in the process of doing so. The draft seems to assume that a
measurement system exists to supply all the needed measurements with
relevant context and scope.

I wonder how much all these "new" metrics actually improve alto cost
accuracy.

Al