Re: [alto] Paper on "Pushing BitTorrent Locality to the Limit"

"Y. R. Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu> Wed, 03 December 2008 16:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:12:50 -0500
From: "Y. R. Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
To: Maciej Wojciechowski <m.wojciechowski@tudelft.nl>
Cc: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] Paper on "Pushing BitTorrent Locality to the Limit"
Sender: alto-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Maciek,

Thanks a lot for the pointer.

The P4P trials used Pando client, which is similar to standard BT client.
In addition to the Pando client, in the past we have also tried other
clients such as standard BT and Maze (a file sharing client). The standard
BT experiments were done at PlanetLab, and the Maze experiment was done in
China. Both are real experiments, although they are not comparable with
the scale of the Pando experiment.

There is some detail about some of the experiments in a paper:
http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/yry/projects/p4p/p4p-sigcomm08.pdf

There is a thread about the setup of the Pando experiments (you may need
to trace multiple emails):
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/p2pi/current/msg00884.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/p2pi/current/msg00886.html

A discussion of the P4P framework can be found at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-p4p-framework-00.txt

Some more slides about the implementations on the tracker side:
http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/yry/projects/p4p/p4p-implementation.ppt

To fully appreciate some detail of the results, you may need more details
of the exact algorithms (e.g., the application optimization algorithm). We
can give you pointer too.

Richard