Re: [alto] 5/3/2022 Meeting Minutes

Danny Lachos <dlachos@benocs.com> Wed, 25 May 2022 11:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 13:45:22 +0200
To: kaigao@scu.edu.cn, Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
Cc: Jordi Ros Giralt <jros@qti.qualcomm.com>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
From: Danny Lachos <dlachos@benocs.com>
Subject: Re: [alto] 5/3/2022 Meeting Minutes

Hello Kai, Qin, all,

Thanks a lot for your comments/answers,

See below more details about our PoC & correlation:

Given a set of applications/media services (e.g., Disney+, DAZN, etc.)
that use infrastructures (e.g., CDNs) for content distribution, a couple
of questions to try to solve with this PoC:

  * What are those infrastructures and how much traffic is coming from them?
  * What are those applications and how much traffic is coming from them?

Therefore, the main idea with the DNS and Netflow correlation (including
BGP) is to annotate the Netflow traffic with the domain name(s) they
came from.

Regarding DNS information, we are collecting A/4A records and CName records:

  * A/4A records to map an IPv4/IPv6 address to a FQDN (Fully Qualified
    Domain Name).
  * CNAME records to map a FQDN to another FQDN.

Main technical/research challenges for this DNS/Netflow mapping include:

  * Live processing with multiple DNS and Netflow pipes running in parallel
  * Domain name and IP address aggregation
  * Desynchronized Netflow/DNS streams, including different formats
  * DNS records need to be tracked in order to know if they are still
    valid or not
  * Warm-up periods of more than 12 hours
  * Recursive CNAME mapping (and sometimes endless)
  * Recursive lookup of FQDNs is not always completed because we only
    receive the “cache misses” in the DNS stream data
  * ...

We are implementing our PoC environment to validate and obtain different
proposals and results.

This is a work-in-progress and we are fully open to discuss in more
details this project, and working together with people interested in
this topic.

btw, regarding how the correlated data is consumed by applications, it
is supposed to use the same approach like FlowDirector
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/112/materials/slides-112-alto-implementation-deployment-experience-update-01),
i.e.,  through ALTO-based interfaces, BGP-based interfaces, or
customized interfaces.