Re: [alto] General comment about draft-penno-alto-protocol-03.txt

"Martin Stiemerling" <Stiemerling@nw.neclab.eu> Mon, 10 August 2009 08:32 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:31:47 +0200
From: Martin Stiemerling <Stiemerling@nw.neclab.eu>
To: alto <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] General comment about draft-penno-alto-protocol-03.txt

Hi all,

I have the severe doubt that the integration of all existing ALTO protocol proposals into one protocol is a good idea at all, after spending some cycles on the P4P draft over the weekend.

The beauty of P4P seems to be (IMHO) that the server itself can calculate all information beforehand based on the PIDs. I.e., there is actually no calculation needed during the runtime, leaving the load on the server to serving the HTTP GET requests (we know how to handle this by today for a large request volume).

However, there is a shift in protocol heaviness, by introducing the oracle approach to the protocol proposal. The oracle requires calculations during the runtime, i.e., the server needs to serve the requests and do extra cycles on calculating the guidance. The oracle also turns the argument of caching upside down, as the responses are not meaningful to caching anymore.

I would leave the P4P proposal without the oracle or is the goal to generate a protocol that can do all, but with too many caveats?

Thanks,

  Martin

stiemerling@nw.neclab.eu

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014