Re: [alto] Is it possible to incorporate "server notification" mechanism into current ALTO protocol

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Sun, 18 April 2010 23:31 UTC

From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Richard Alimi <richard.alimi@yale.edu>, wangaijun <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:33:12 +0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "Zhouky@ctbri.com.cn" <Zhouky@ctbri.com.cn>, "Wangqian@ctbri.com.cn" <Wangqian@ctbri.com.cn>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>, Likai <leekai@ctbri.com.cn>
Subject: Re: [alto] Is it possible to incorporate "server notification" mechanism into current ALTO protocol

Aside from the ALTO-layer considerations, there are also protocol considerations.

If ALTO relies on HTTP, then HTTP has some limitations in this regard.  There are some options:

 - long-polling works using pure HTTP, as long as client and server both understand that this is the desired behaviour.  This is a little inefficient, but it is generally regarded as useful.

 - There are other protocols that might be employed, see <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-roach-sip-http-subscribe>

--Martin