[alto] Comments in 3.1.4. Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-reqs-11.txt

Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net> Sun, 17 July 2011 23:21 UTC

From: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
To: "internet-drafts@ietf.org" <internet-drafts@ietf.org>, "i-d-announce@ietf.org" <i-d-announce@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:17:17 -0400
user-agent: Microsoft-Entourage/13.9.0.110114
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: [alto] Comments in 3.1.4. Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-reqs-11.txt

I have a question on how the requirement below would be operationalized.

" For example, an
      ALTO client could be integrated into the tracker of a tracker-
      based P2P application, in order to request ALTO guidance on behalf
      of the peers contacting the tracker.
"

I'm assuming the flow of information is the following: A P2P client contacts
a Tracker. The Tracker (as an ALTO Client) turns around and contacts an ALTO
Server in order to get guidance.

Later in the section is says

"   REQ.  ARv11-20: An ALTO client protocol MUST support the mode of
   operation in which the ALTO client is embedded in a third party,
   which performs queries on behalf of resource consumers."

It is not clear to me that the ALTO Client is performing the query 'on
behalf' of the P2P client.  If the requirement is written as intended, the
P2P Client needs to pass information to the tracker that needs to be
converted into parameters by the ALTO Client when issuing a query: bandwidth
caps, encryption preference, queue limit, ISP Policies, wireline vs.
wireless preference, etc.

Otherwise the third party ALTO Client can at most perform a 'plain' query
and return a cost and network map. See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5632
where tracker protocol remains the same and all intelligence lives in the
'ALTO Server' or iTracker.

Therefore , is it assumed that Tracker protocols will be enhanced to pass
this information? Or the requirement wording should change a bit?

Thanks,

Reinaldo