Re: [alto] Discussion on how to encode element values of a cost map

"Randriamasy, Sabine (Nokia - FR)" <sabine.randriamasy@nokia-bell-labs.com> Tue, 19 July 2016 10:16 UTC

From: "Randriamasy, Sabine (Nokia - FR)" <sabine.randriamasy@nokia-bell-labs.com>
To: Gao Kai <gaok12@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>, Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zhang@gmail.com>, "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:15:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.38]
Cc: IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>, Nico Schwan <nico.schwan@thalesgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [alto] Discussion on how to encode element values of a cost map

Hi all,

Thanks for starting this discussion. If we are to extend the specification of a cost-type, I think it is necessary to extend it incrementally and smoothly. For instance by optionally adding cost-type members such as  CostSchema cost-schema (to be defined) as Jensen suggested.
Most of previous members of cost-types we defined with a consistent meaning.

For instance:
- “cost-metric” points to a metric such as routingcost, hopcount, status and I don’t see how “multicost” or “calendar” can be a metric.
- “cost-mode” was defined to indicate how the the cost *values* should be manipulated arithmetically e.g. numerical, ordinal, string, Boolean.

To address your concerns, it may be worth to first discuss extensions on metrics, modes, and attributes extending the cost types while minimizing the creation of new modes and mime types.
I would prefer to keep these members defined as they are otherwise there will be too much disruption with RFC7285. Likewise, a cost map conveys values described at least by their cost type and it is difficult to define map as a mode.

My 2 cents for the moment, will continue later.
Best regards,
Sabine