Re: [alto] Second round of comments on Re: WGLC on ALTO reqs 10, not 08

Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu> Tue, 05 July 2011 08:37 UTC

From: Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu>
To: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 08:37:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.1.135]
Cc: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] Second round of comments on Re: WGLC on ALTO reqs 10, not 08

Reinaldo,

Here is a text suggestion (to appear in draft-11). Let us know your comments.

3.1.6.  Error Handling and Overload Protection

   REQ.  ARv11-31: An ALTO client protocol MUST use TCP based transport.

   REQ.  ARv11-32: An ALTO client protocol specification MUST specify
   mechanisms, or detail how to leverage appropriate mechanisms provided
   by underlying protocol layers, which can be used by an ALTO server to
   inform clients about an impending or occurring overload situation,
   and require them to throttle their query rate.

   REQ.  ARv11-33: An ALTO client protocol specification MUST specify
   mechanisms, or detail how to leverage appropriate mechanisms provided
   by underlying protocol layers, which can be used by an ALTO server to
   inform clients about an impending or occurring overload situation,
   and redirect them to another ALTO server.

   REQ.  ARv11-34: An ALTO client protocol specification MUST specify
   mechanisms, or detail how to leverage appropriate mechanisms provided
   by underlying protocol layers, which can be used by an ALTO server to
   inform clients about an impending or occurring overload situation,
   and terminate the conversation with the ALTO client.

   REQ.  ARv11-35: An ALTO client protocol specification MUST specify
   mechanisms, or detail how to leverage appropriate mechanisms provided
   by underlying protocol layers, which can be used by an ALTO server to
   inform clients about its inability to answer queries due to technical
   problems or system maintenance, and require them not to send any
   further queries before an indicated point in time.

   REQ.  ARv11-36: An ALTO client protocol specification MUST specify
   mechanisms, or detail how to leverage appropriate mechanisms provided
   by underlying protocol layers, which can be used by an ALTO server to
   inform clients about its inability to answer queries due to technical
   problems or system maintenance, and redirect them to another ALTO
   server.

   REQ.  ARv11-37: An ALTO client protocol specification MUST specify
   mechanisms, or detail how to leverage appropriate mechanisms provided
   by underlying protocol layers, which can be used by an ALTO server to
   inform clients about its inability to answer queries due to technical
   problems or system maintenance, and terminate the conversation with
   the ALTO client.

   Note: The existence of the above-mentioned protocol mechanisms does
   not imply that an ALTO server must use them when facing an overload,
   technical problem, or maintenance situation, respectively.  Some
   servers may be unable to use them in that situation, or they may
   prefer to simply refuse the connection or not to send any answer at
   all.