Re: [alto] Inter-ALTO

Wendy Roome <wendy@wdroome.com> Wed, 25 March 2015 14:02 UTC

From: Wendy Roome <wendy@wdroome.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:02:02 -0500
To: Sebastian Kiesel <ietf-alto@skiesel.de>
Cc: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>, Piotr Wydrych <piotr.wydrych@agh.edu.pl>
Subject: Re: [alto] Inter-ALTO

After reviewing the 2.* alternatives more carefully, I think 2.1 & 2.2 are not practical. First, they only work for Endpoint Cost queries; since the pid maps vary from server to sever, 2.1 & 2.2 won't work for anything else. Second, the analogy with DNS breaks down. With DNS, everyone has the same address for a name; you just have to find the first server that has it. With alto, every server has a cost. You need to decide which is most accurate. Right now there is no way to determine that.

That leaves 2.3, which pushes the problem to the client. That requires a central alto server registry, plus a way for a server to declare its area of cost expertise.

As for incentives for an alto provider to register their server with some central repository, I don't see that as a problem. If an ISP offers alto, they want people to use it. So they will want to promote their alto server. Just like someone with a public web site wants google to know about it.

The more important question is, what are the incentives for an ISP to offer an alto server in the first place? :-)

     - Wendy