Re: [altoext] [alto] FW: New Version Notification for draft-xie-alto-sdn-extension-use-cases-00.txt

"Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu> Mon, 02 July 2012 03:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 11:41:29 +0800
From: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
To: Haiyong Xie <haiyong.xie@huawei.com>
Cc: "altoext@ietf.org" <altoext@ietf.org>, Hongtao Yin <hongtao.yin@huawei.com>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>, Andreas Voellmy <andreas.voellmy@yale.edu>
Subject: Re: [altoext] [alto] FW: New Version Notification for draft-xie-alto-sdn-extension-use-cases-00.txt

Hi Haiyong, Tina, Hongtao, and Diego,

A good document! Here are some quick feedback:

- One take-away message that the document appears trying to convey is
Vertical (V) vs Horizontal (H) architectures. My understanding of your
definition
is that V is a one-to-many setting, i.e., one ALTO Server to m SDN
Controllers (SC),
while H is one-to-one, i.e., one ALTO Server to one SC. Why is the
information flow
in H only SC <- ALTO S (Sec. 3.2), not the other way around? In an SDN
setting, I
agree that an SC should already collect fine-grained, dynamic
information for its
controlled domain. ALTO current does not define how its information is
collected/provisioned, but SC provides a good source (Sec. 4.3.2) of
information
for ALTO Server to aggregate and conduct abstraction. I see good value
in this
direction of information flow. I feel that this is mostly a common
problem across H
and V. Hence I would not discard the H architecture right away. A
concern is
whether we are ready to define the SC -> ALTO Server information flow,
given the "early-stageness" of SDN. A related general comment is that it
maybe quite
helpful to extract common problems (e.g., unknown/dynamic network cost as
you mentioned) and new possibilities for ALTO when introducing SDN,
instead of
a specific setting of a network being partitioned into many sub-networks
in a V
architecture. What do you think? A curious question, does the ALTO servers
(as well as the SC) in H form some kind of mesh (peering) among themselves?

- The document seems to imply some kind of exclusive SC/net app setting:
either
SC or net app, but not both. Do I misunderstand it? This depends on how one
define the scope of SC. There can still be net apps running. Does it
make sense to
include (explicitly) the net apps into your discussions/figures to
include 4 types
of entities: devices, SC, ALTO Server, and net apps? I like your
distinction between
SDN-aware and SDN-unaware apps. I am not sure I fully agree or
understand your
statement that SDN-aware apps would prefer direct communications with
SC, but
this will be an important architecture discussion at the ALTO meeting.

Thanks.

Richard