Re: [altoext] altoext: Call for participation

Ben Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk> Thu, 08 March 2012 17:11 UTC

From: Ben Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 17:11:04 +0000
To: Jan Seedorf <Jan.Seedorf@neclab.eu>
Cc: "altoext@ietf.org" <altoext@ietf.org>, "Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: [altoext] altoext: Call for participation

Jan,

On 8 Mar 2012, at 15:58, Jan Seedorf wrote:

> Ben,
>
> Quick question:
>> - The ability to "name" cost maps so that a single Information Resource
>> Directory can link multiple cost maps with the same cost type & cost mode to
>> a single network map.
> Why would you need that?

I am thinking through a use case where certain policies could be expressed as ALTO cost maps.

There has always been the implicit assumption in ALTO that the ALTO server could provide different maps to different applications. This is an extension of that concept but where a single application needs to retrieve multiple cost maps (for the same network map) depending on circumstance but the ALTO server won't know the circumstance so cannot determine from the application's ALTO request which cost map to serve.

I could achieve something similar by minting a different cost-type per cost map (linked to a the same network map) but that seems ugly compared to incorporating something like a name/title property in an IRD entry.

Ben