Re: [Anima-bootstrap] IoT and scope of bootstrap

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Tue, 01 December 2015 13:11 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 14:11:19 +0100
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Cc: anima-bootstrap <anima-bootstrap@ietf.org>, consultancy@vanderstok.org
Subject: Re: [Anima-bootstrap] IoT and scope of bootstrap

HI Michael,

The use case I like to be covered seems less complex than the ones you
describe below.

Suppose:
A new building is installed with building equipment such as HVAC,
lighting, etc.
Or an existing building is retrofit.
Cables are laid out, connected to equipment, Access Points are
installed, 6LBRs are installed,
and wireless equipment connecting to the 6LBRs and APs is installed.
Cabling is tested and wrong connections are removed.

Assuming the cabling, the 6LBRs and APs are correctly installed, the
network is powered up.
Assume most equipment is ANIMA enabled. The network is bootstrapped with
factory security in place.
After bootstrap this is a perfect moment to decide whether the network
(ACP) works or not.

Once the network is declared to work (satisfies the specification),
additional service discovery, group declarations, application specific
keying material can be installed.

Such a network will be composed of LLNs, and includes constrained
devices.
Sleepy nodes (energy harvesting sensors) may include ANIMA services, but
special provisions to include them in the network are more likely to be
deployed.

For the moment I have no idea what ACP and Anima bootstrapping implies
in terms of resources and resource consumption.
But excluding everything smaller than a tablet may be premature.

Peter