[Anima] splitting up richardson-anima-masa-considerations into two pieces

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Wed, 10 June 2020 04:33 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: anima@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 00:33:43 -0400
Subject: [Anima] splitting up richardson-anima-masa-considerations into two pieces

We have split up richardson-anima-masa-considerations into two pieces:

1) the MASA operational considerations.  This is the BRSKI specific part
   which was part two of the original document.

   It deals with generating vouchers, and how to create and manage the
   trust anchors that need to be built-into the firmware.

internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:
    > A new version of I-D, draft-richardson-anima-masa-considerations-04.txt
    > has been successfully submitted by Michael Richardson and posted to the
    > IETF repository.

I would welcome more discussion in ANIMA on this part.

2) draft-richardson-secdispatch-idevid-considerations

which deals with how do build and operate the IDevID needed to make BRSKI
operate.  This document is not intended to be BRSKI specific, but deal with
any use for IDevID certificates.  Clearly other uses may have other needs,
but it should be possible to build a superset system that makes everyone
happy.

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-richardson-secdispatch-idevid-considerations/

Abstract:
   This document provides a number of operational modes that a
   manufacturer of devices that include IEEE 802.1AR IDevID certificates
   may choose from.  Different ways of generating and signing the needed
   keypairs are detailed, and the security tradeoffs of each method are
   considered.  This document provides a nomenclature for each mode.

   IDevID certificates are used in ANIMA's BRSKI Manufacturer Authorized
   Signing Authority (MASA) process.

I will be asking secdispatch to consider what to do with this document.
I say that there is a nomenclature, but I don't yet have a clue how to name
the three (at least) ways of doing key generation.   Part of the reason to
split this document up is to make it easier to get this part reviewed widely.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-