[Anima] Martin Duke's No Objection on draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-28: (with COMMENT)

Martin Duke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 12 August 2020 23:01 UTC

From: Martin Duke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane@ietf.org, anima-chairs@ietf.org, anima@ietf.org, Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>, jiangsheng@huawei.com
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 16:01:56 -0700
Subject: [Anima] Martin Duke's No Objection on draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-28: (with COMMENT)

Martin Duke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-28: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane/

COMMENT:

I found significant parts of this document tough to follow, particularly
because there are many deployment variations for almost every element of the
architecture. But I trust that the Security ADs will catch any remaining
security issues.

I appreciate that this effort appears, refreshingly, to have security baked in
from the start.

Sec 6.1.1
"it is beneficial to
   copy the device identifying fields of the node's IDevID certificate
   into the ACP certificate,... and
   the "serialNumber" contains usually device type information that may
   help to faster determine working exploits/attacks against the device."

I am not certain the 'beneficial' assertion is supportable, if the benefit is
some diagnostic help but the drawback is a security vulnerability.

sec 6.5. If both nodes have empty ACP address fields, they are both Bob. What
happens then?

sec 6.11.1.14. "As this requirement raises additional Data-Plane,..."
I am not sure what this clause means to say.