Re: [Anima] I-D Action: draft-ietf-anima-grasp-13.txt - SONN

William Atwood <william.atwood@concordia.ca> Thu, 08 June 2017 20:03 UTC

To: anima@ietf.org, Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
From: William Atwood <william.atwood@concordia.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 16:03:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [Anima] I-D Action: draft-ietf-anima-grasp-13.txt - SONN

Toerless,

The idea to extend IKEv2 for "wider scope" negotiation can certainly be
seen in the KARP documents.  In this case:
1) for unicast negotiation, the protocols being keyed include IPsec and
TCP-AO
2) for multicast negotiation, the base model was GDOI (adapted to
IKEv2), but an election procedure was added

The addition is because GDOI's administratively-assigned group
controller/key server was not suitable for a negotiation whose scope was
a single network segment.  KARP needed something that would work on its
own.  Sounds as if "autonomic" would be a good descriptor for this case...

Unfortunately, these two documents never made it past the "draft-author"
stage.  However, they were well-enough defined that I have a student who
has formally validated some of their security properties.

documents (all four that I believe are pertinent):
	draft-mahesh-karp-rkmp
 	draft-hartman-karp-mrkmp
	draft-yeung-g-ikev2
	draft-chunduri-karp-using-ikev2-with-tcp-ao

  Bill