Re: [Anima] CoAP et al

Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es> Tue, 16 August 2016 23:22 UTC

From: Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 01:21:56 +0200
To: Toerless Eckert <eckert@cisco.com>
Cc: Dan Garcia <DanGarc@cisco.com>, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>, draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra.all@tools.ietf.org, anima@ietf.org, Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es>
Subject: Re: [Anima] CoAP et al

Hi Toerless:

> El 16 ago 2016, a las 7:43, Toerless Eckert <eckert@cisco.com> escribió:
>

> Rafa,
>
> I have not managed to figure out from your draft what exactly
> you consider to be bootstrapping. It seems you primarily refer
> to draft-ohba-core-eap-based-bootstrapping, which seems to be expired.

Just a clarification,  draft-marin-ace-wg-coap-eap-03 is just presenting a transport of EAP in CoAP (CoAP used as EAP lower-layer). The bootstrapping service is in the paper.

> To quickly summarize what in anima we call bootstrap:
>
> The ANIMA key bootstrap protocol primarily tries to get a credential
> installed on a device. This is based on RFC7030 (eg: cert enrolment)
> and adds all the functions we have identified as being necessary on top of this:
>
>  1. Initial signaling so the client can trust the server from which
>     it gets the credential - server can be from some owner of the
>     device and it's producing a credential from the vendor of the
>     device that makes the device trust the server.  As a result
>     for example the client install the servers CA cert into its
>     cert trustpool list.
>
>  2. Requesting parameters to be associated with the credential. These
>     parameters are then useable by next steps. In Anima, these
>     credentials are parameters to the client cert, and those are
>     then used in building the ACP after bootstrap.
>
>  3. Installing the credential - in ANIMA devices the AN Certificate.
>
>     Note: We did discuss but have not decided on options where
>     for example this step could be optional, eg: where in very low-end
>     devices the vendor installed credential is sufficient, and no new credential is
>     desired, but instead only 1., 2., 4., 5. are performed.
>
>  4. Diagnostics so the server side will know if/how steps 1..3 where
>     successful.
>
>  5.  Next step to take by the device - eg: build ACP or for non
>      ANIMA devices, maybe "here is your next provisioning connection
>      to build". (we're just discussing this step).
>
> So, i am not aware that existing EAP mechanisms offer any such bootstrap
> functionality. I am not even aware they offer an equivalent of rfc7030 with
> EAP.

[Rafa] Thanks for this clear summary. I have to say that EAP is a protocol for authentication and key management mainly. You have several "EAP methods” that define the authentication mechanisms in EAP. As I mentioned, previous work about MIPv6 bootstrapping used tunneling capabilities in certain EAP methods to “inject” that configuration information (e.g. draft-giaretta-mip6-authorization-eap-04 , old draft but interesting). Other alternative is just to use EAP for authentication key material generation to protect the signaling of other protocol/s that allows to transfer the information you need.

In the context of "IoT bootstrapping", I must say that we are not the only one proposing the usage of EAP (the novelty of our solution is the usage of CoAP as EAP lower-layer).

Best Regards.