Re: [Anima] Shepherd review draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-09

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 15 February 2018 17:14 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 18:14:28 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "Max Pritikin (pritikin)" <pritikin@cisco.com>
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Anima] Shepherd review draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-09

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 04:06:33PM +0000, Max Pritikin (pritikin) wrote:
> >> b)  Key infrastructure
> >
> >> There  is no definition/reference for this term.  Please describe on
> >> first use and in terminology.  Is there a difference
> >> between "key infrastructure" and  "keying material" ? If not, then
> >> maybe remove one term otherwise pls. describe difference.
> >
> > The term is in the title and in section 1.
> > And you are right that it does not appear again, nor is it defined.
> > I think it generally refers to the mechanism of PKI, but I'm not sure what to do.

> "Keying material" is defined in RFC4949.

Well... RFC4949: keying material
    1. (I) Data that is needed to establish and maintain a
       cryptographic security association, such as keys, key pairs, and IVs.

Can you explain to me how i should deduce from that explanation whether
certificates are keying material or not ?

IMHO, I need certificates to establish (authenticate) the cryptographic security
association when i am using certificates.  Likewise would a voucher
be keying material because it is required for authentication.

But the term itself "keying material" implies to a non-native english speaker
that this is more likely something like a generalisation of "keys" in
cypto algorithms:

  output = crypto_algorithm(data,keying_material)

and in that sense certificates or vouchers are never keying material
because they would always be classified as the data portion of any
crypto_algorithm (used for establishment of a crypto association).

> An ???infrastructure??? is the basic entities and protocols necessary for the operations of key management. I think it comes from the common language term and can???t find a normative definition within IETF document. As a native english speaker who has used the concept in IETF interactions for eons it feels silly to try and define it. Odd.

Is this correct:

brski keying material = public/private key pairs of IDevID of Pledge and certs of registrar, CA, MASA.
  Possible non-crypto speaker confusion: are certs/vouchers part of keying material ? (see above)

brski keying entities = pledge + registrar + CA ( + MASA ?)
  Possible non-crypto speaker confusion: Is MASA part of keying entities ?
  If keying material is just the public key pairs, then probably not ?
  But would BRSKI without a following EST part even be "keying entities" ?

brski keying protocols = BRSKI+ EST (pledge/registrar), EST (registrar/MASA), BRSKI-EST (registrar/MASA)

brski keying infrastructure = brski keying entities + brski keying protocols

Or whatever else is correct in the context of BRSKI. Better to just enumerate whats
meant like i suggested above instead of trying generic definitions because those
can fail on non-native crypto speakers like my above confusion with rfc4949.

Also it wold be good if there was a clear understanding if BRSKI claims to expand
the scope of any of these terms. Eg: If MASA or vouchers are now considered to
be part of any prior existing terms such as keying material or keying infra. I
guess that "keying protocols" are definitely expanded by BRSKI...

Cheers
    Toerless