Re: [Anima] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-limited-domains-07.txt

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Fri, 07 June 2019 07:19 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
CC: Anima WG <anima@ietf.org>, "Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 07:19:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [Anima] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-limited-domains-07.txt

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] My hidden comment was that ** interoperability ** is needed even for closed networks. We cannot imply that such networks should use private protocols because they are not connected to the Internet.

 However, I prefer to mention this
> aspect in the main Introduction, not in the Abstract.

[Med] OK, thanks. Hope you will reflect the above comment about interoperability.

> > Intent Based Networking... Commentaire [Med6]: Not sure why this
> > is mentioned. IBN is not specific to a service, and hence cannot be
> > limited to a single domain.
>
> I don't agree, not as I understand the discussion so far on intent.
> It isn't specific to a service, but it is specific to a human point
> of control such as a NOC. (Of course, intent could be nested inside
> a higher level intent, i.e. nested scopes.)

[Med] The issue I had with that text is it assumes that intent are necessarily for services with limited scopes, while it is completely fine to use it for services with ** global ** reachability.

IMHO, IBN is a dimension which is not tied to closed networks.

> > specific tunneling and encapsulation techniques may only be
> > usable within a given domain... Commentaire [Med7]: inter-AS VPNs
> > are also widely used.
>
> Sure, that's why it's "may".

[Med] Yes, but there is that "only" in your text :-)

> > a limited use requirement potentially adds complexity...
> > Commentaire [Med9]: This depends on the design of the protocol
> > targeting a managed network. See for example,
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6947#section-4.2.3
>
> Agreed, that's why it's "potentially".
>
> > 6. Functional Requirements of Limited Domains...
> > Commentaire [Med12]: I would remove this part from the draft.
>
> The authors don't agree. This is not a specification, of course,
> but it's intended as a pointer to possible future work.

[Med] The concern I had with that text it is drawn from a perspective which may not apply to every controlled/limited domain.

I'm working on use cases for which your list is great, e.g., BGP automation within massively scale data centers, but if I would like to run a fleet of drones for some usage, I don't necessarily need a "domain identity" or "role verification" as it the bootstrapping of the drones will be with an external control.

> > A basic assumption is that domains should be created and managed as
> > automatically as possible, with minimal human configuration required.
> > We therefore discuss requirements for automating domain creation and
> > management...
> > Commentaire [Med13]: This is depoyment-specific.
>
> Will reword slightly, but do we really want *new* manual management jobs?

[Med] It depends on the "limited domain" scope and purpose. Manual operations can be perfectly fine vs. the heaviness of setting and configuring complex schemes.

> > Clearly, the boundary of a limited domain will almost always also act
> > as a security boundary...
> > Commentaire [Med15]: If such nodes is allowed by the structure of the
> limited domain.
> > Some closed networks may not hosts such nodes.
>
> Yes, this is the argument I've had with the BRSKI people about running
> BRSKI with no access to the Internet. But that's why we say "almost
> always".

[Med] Yeah, but the text assumes that such "role" is always present in a limited domain. Please consider tweaking the text. Thanks.