Re: [Anima] Latest draft charter text of ANIMA

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Mon, 18 March 2019 16:57 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>, Ignas Bagdonas <ibagdona@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 12:57:14 -0400
Subject: Re: [Anima] Latest draft charter text of ANIMA

Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com> wrote:
    > Please find the latest draft charter text below.. Actually, the chairs
    > made all the draft writing open for all the time. Versions are shared
    > in ANIMA

Thank you for posting this.
Some comments below.

    > 2.0.5 Draft charter (Sheng)

    > Proposed 2nd Charter for ANIMA Working Group

    > The Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (ANIMA) working
    > group
    > develops and maintains specifications and documentation for interoperable
    > protocols and procedures for automated network management and control of
    > networks that are developed, built and operated by professionals.

    > The vision is a network that configures, heals, optimizes and protects
    > itself. The strategy is the incremental introduction of components to
    > smoothly evolve existing and new networks accordingly.

    > ANIMA work will rely on the framework described in
    > draft-ietf-anima-reference-model. Work not related to this framework is
    > welcome for review, but WG adoption of such work requires explicit
    > rechartering. The three areas of the framework are (1) the Autonomic
    > Networking Infrastructure (ANI), (2) Autonomic Functions (AF) built from
    > software modules called Autonomic Service Agents (ASA) and (3) Intent.

    > The ANI is specified through prior ANIMA work. It is composed of the
    > Autonomic Control Plane (ACP), Bootstrap over Secure Key Infrastructures
    > (BRSKI) including Vouchers, and the Generic Autonomic Signaling Protocol
    > (GRASP). ANIMA will work on closing gaps and extended ANI and its components.

    > ANIMA will start to define AFs to enable service automation in
    > networks; it will also work on generic aspects of ASA including design
    > guidelines and
    > lifecycle management including coordination and dependency management.

I think that this is a good set of goals, and I'd like to see AFs built,
but I'm not seeing them.  I am pleased to have a place in which to extend
BRSKI, but I feel that it's a *distraction* to the goal of getting the AFs
built.  I've said this before, and I'm prepared to be in the rough here.

What I'd ideally like to see is:

1) some place for enrollment work -- including BRSKI.

2) a way to finish and revise the ANI work.   This may need rather some
   kind of lightweight industrial forum to push interoperability testing
   leading to Updates to documents presently in the queue or already
   published.

3) a way to get AFs brought out.  Maybe an IRTF RG, maybe something else.

While not properly the business of the IETF, I don't think that (3)
can get much traction until there is a way to bring up a (virtual) ANI
on a bunch of VMs or cheap equipment in research labs.
Having ANI is like Web 1.0... the real value doesn't come until 2.0.

So one thought is, provided that (1) can be satisfied some other way,
is to suspend (not shutdown) ANIMA rather than recharter it.  I recognize
that such an action might have negative consequences to how various
people are able to participate.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-