Re: [Anima] Scope question [was: autonomic bootstrap: gap analysis]

Laurent Ciavaglia <Laurent.Ciavaglia@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 17 June 2014 08:04 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:03:53 +0200
From: Laurent Ciavaglia <Laurent.Ciavaglia@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Michael Behringer (mbehring)" <mbehring@cisco.com>, "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>, 6tisch-security@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Anima] Scope question [was: autonomic bootstrap: gap analysis]

Dear Michael, all,

It's nice to see inputs/thoughts from very different domains (IoT)
coming in!

Connected devices or entities are for sure in the scope of applicability
for autonomic networking. And if we consider the future 5G networks, the
number of connected "nodes" will be even more important and will put
even more pressure on the (operators of the) networking infrastructures
to cope with e.g. up-to-date/synchronized inventory (just to name one).
In this context, autonomic technologies definitely make sense: to
address scalability, optimisation/adaptation of the control
process/functions, coordination/orchestration among autonomic
nodes/functions, etc).

If we speak IoT/Smart objects, I see a clear and easy first link with
SmartHome (homenet), and as long as we see a _role_ for the network
(thus the "_connecte__d_" x), and someone acting as an "operator" (not
necessarily a classical telco carrier: e.g. who the homenet
operator(s)?), there is a place for autonomic technologies.

What we can provide (ultimately)  is a (consistent/integrated?) set of
autonomic/management tools for these very operators applicable in the
different technological/industrial domains (smart homes, smart cities...
and of course also "purely" telecommuncations networks). Of course one
goal would be to not re-specify/develop the core solutions for all the
different domains. This is very much in line with one of our goals in
this BoF to identify commonalities that will drive the
protocol/architecture work.
Autonomic networking will/should develop and provide both the
procotols/mechanisms and the right (simple, extensible, composable)
interfaces for operators to use them (in different domains).

As for the point on distribution, I don't know how to phrase it, but it
is even more than a requirement, it is part of the nature of any
networked environment: distributed in nature. So we will have to
"attach" a number of basic/essential (autonomic) functionality to the
(distributed) "nodes". Secured bootstrap is one. Others well-known ones
could be (TBD): discovery, information exchange, capability negotiation,
enforcement, group communications...

Best regards, Laurent.

On 17/06/2014 08:59, Michael Behringer (mbehring) wrote:
> [...]

Bien cordialement, Best regards,

*Laurent Ciavaglia*

Research Manager | Project Manager

Network Algorithms, Protocols and Security Group

Bell Labs | Alcatel Lucent

phone: +33 160 402 636

email: laurent.ciavaglia@alcatel-lucent.com
<mailto:laurent.ciavaglia@alcatel-lucent.com>

linkedin: laurentciavaglia <http://fr.linkedin.com/in/laurentciavaglia/>

address: Route de Villejust | 91620 NOZAY | France