RE: [Ans-research] (no subject)

Scott Corson <Corson@flarion.com> Tue, 01 April 2003 21:48 UTC

From: Scott Corson <Corson@flarion.com>
To: 'Xiaoyan Hong' <hxy@CS.UCLA.EDU>, 'Joe Macker' <macker@itd.nrl.navy.mil>, "'ans-research@www1.ietf.org'" <ans-research@www1.ietf.org>
Cc: 'Dr Mario Gerla' <gerla@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: RE: [Ans-research] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:49:37 -0500
Sender: ans-research-admin@www1.ietf.org

Xiaoyan,

I would characterize most of what you mention as 'scenario criteria', e.g.:
* number of nodes/connectivity of nodes/mobility pattern
* traffic pattern/application mixture/traffic intensity
* node energy storage constaints/CPU cycles bound
* bandwidth constraints/link layer type(s) in use
etc...

Common definitions of the above are needed to specify 'standard' scenario
test cases that can be considered during evaluations.

As regards 'black box' performance metrics, I'm thinking more of
*protocol-independent performance measures* as seen by higher layer
applications/protocols, e.g.:
* 1st and 2nd-order latency measures (delay/jitter)
* 1st and 2nd-order throughput measures (goodput/variation)
etc...

Common definitions of these metrics are also desired. These can be broken
down per traffic aggregate (in DiffServ terms) if QoS routing is considered.
These measures apply equally to reactive, proactive or hybrid algorithms.

We are looking for contributions (Internet Drafts) on both these topics and
others by interested parties.

-Scott