Minor SNMP over AT bug

"Ritter, Mike" <MWRITTER@applelink.apple.com> Fri, 31 July 1992 21:39 UTC

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1992 18:45:00 +0000
From: "Ritter, Mike" <MWRITTER@applelink.apple.com>
Subject: Minor SNMP over AT bug
To: APPLE-IP@cayman.com

Sam Roberts correctly pointed out a minor irritation in the SNMP-over-AppleTalk
spec that we didn't get into the draft.

We say:

 (Note:  as stated in [1], section 4.1, the *source* address of a RESPONSE PDU
will be the same as the *destination* address of the corresponding REQUEST
PDU.)

where [1] is the SNMP spec.

Some information might be lost if the destination address of a REQUEST PDU was
a broadcast or multicast address.  Not too likely, but more likely in AppleTalk
than other transports.  So I think that we want ot make the minor modification
to make the above parenthetical note read:

 (Note:  as stated in [1], section 4.1, the *source* address of a RESPONSE PDU
will be the same as the *destination* address of the corresponding REQUEST
PDU, unless the destination address is intended for multiple nodes, in which
case, the *source* address will be the node's address and the destination
socket.)

    Does this make sense?
    The full spec is out on the internet drafts repository under the name:
draft-ietf-mpsnmp-appletalk-02.txt.
    -Mike