[apps-discuss] AD Fail - MPTCP API

Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com> Wed, 14 November 2012 21:49 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:48:19 -0600
From: Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>
To: IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: [apps-discuss] AD Fail - MPTCP API

If I were a good AD, I'd have been monitoring this all along and would
have given a long heads up, before IETF Last Call. If I were a good AD,
I would have asked for an Apps Directorate review. Now, Last Call
complete and less than 19 hours before an IESG Telechat, I come to you,
head hung in shame. Bad Pete.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mptcp-api/ is on tomorrow's
telechat. I love MPTCP and think it is exactly the right way to deal
with multiple interfaces, but some of the stuff in this particular
document makes me nervous. Unfortunately, I have not written any code to
a sockets API in too long. I have already bugged two people for comments
(thanks Chris and Cyrus), but I wouldn't mind more people looking at
this document. It's only Informational, but I am quite sure people will
start coding this stuff. I'm personally more worried about the legacy
API interactions (see section 4.2.2 in particular), but if you have
thoughts on the new APIs as well, they would be welcome.

I'm going to be writing up my comments, but at this point I'm not
planning on asking to DISCUSS it. But if anyone has concerns where you
think, "Holy crap! You can't let people start coding that, even if it is
just experimental!", you've got not much time to let me know.

Begging your forgiveness,

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478