Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-00.txt

Stephan Bosch <stephan@rename-it.nl> Wed, 22 May 2013 22:19 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 00:19:18 +0200
From: Stephan Bosch <stephan@rename-it.nl>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-00.txt

Hello,

This draft describes an extension to the Sieve mail filtering language
(RFC 5228) called "duplicate". It adds the ability to detect duplicate
message deliveries. The main application for this new extension is
handling duplicate deliveries commonly caused by mailing list
subscriptions or redirected mail addresses. Using this extension, the
user can for example decide to move duplicate messages to a special
folder, mark them as 'seen', or discard them altogether.

I first implemented this extension a little more than a year ago as a
vendor-defined extension for my own Sieve implementation (Dovecot
Pigeonhole). I did this upon repeated requests from users. They were
looking for a Sieve-equivalent of what could be achieved with Procmail
using `formail -D`. Since then, I extended it a bit and eventually I
made it more generic. In January of this year I decided that it may be
suitable for proper standardization, so I posted the specification on
the Sieve mailing list
(https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05292.html).
There, it was first picked up and reviewed by Ned Freed and Alexey
Melnikov and I turned it into a first I-D submission.

The next versions -01 and -02 were discussed in these threads:

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05300.html
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05310.html

At this point it was decided that the document was sufficiently mature
to start the process of becoming a proposed standard. Since the Sieve WG
is no longer the obvious place to do this, it was moved to APPSAWG.
Apart from its name, the new submission
draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-00 is identical to
draft-bosch-sieve-duplicate-02.

The following are known issues we haven't addressed in the latest
version so far and I think these should be discussed a bit more:

- Do we measure the expiry time of entries in the duplicate tracking
list relative to the initial message or relative to the last duplicate
(https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05310.html).
Should we make this configurable?

- Is the "duplicate" extension supposed to be active in IMAPSieve (RFC
6785) context
(https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05314.html)?
Currently, consensus is to mark this as NOT RECOMMENDED.

I'd like to finish this document some time in July or August. For that,
it would be nice to get it thoroughly reviewed, so your reviews and
comments are very welcome!

Regards,

Stephan Bosch.