Re: [apps-discuss] apps-team review of draft-ietf-fecframe-sdp-elements

"Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com> Tue, 07 September 2010 20:08 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 13:08:56 -0700
From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
To: Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net>, General discussion of application-layer protocols <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] apps-team review of draft-ietf-fecframe-sdp-elements

Hi Dave,

I am off to PTO till the weekend (about to leave). But, here are my quick comments:

Correct.

> It's unclear to me what benefit this brings, and the downside could
> be that implementations only handle a subset of the possibilities,
> resulting in a failure to interoperate.
>
> I would advise serious consideration of restricting this to one unit.
> If microsecond resolutions are required, then obviously this would be
> µs, resulting in the above being written only as:

Personally and as the author, I was pretty much always fine with the ms. I don't think we will see any need for 'us' in the foreseeable future. But, some asked for it and defining it as an alternative unit was the simple solution.

> 150000

This may address your concern but for the current implementations and applications, it might be more confusing.

> This is unfortunately not a current option, and if there are existing
> deployments, this may yield further problems.

Right.

However, I am open to suggestions. If majority thinks we should change it, I can do a quick revision.

> Nits:
>
> The term "bytes" is sometimes used where I suspect "octets" would be
> more precise.

OK, will do one more pass in the next revision.

> Security:
>
> I briefly cast my eye over the Security Considerations section -
> please don't grant these comments the same weight as a security
> review.
>
> There is advice that "It is RECOMMENDED [to] follow the security
> considerations of SDP". I would have thought that following those
> recommendations would be a requirement. I'm quite taken with using
> both RECOMMENDED and SHOULD in the same sentence, mind, but I think
> this could be phrased better.

Will look into this.

> It's also not clear what effect the SDP modification would actually
> have - whether this is a denial of service or if it yields some other
> attack. (My suspicion is that if an attacker is in a position to
> perform this attack, then the attacker can subvert the media streams
> entirely and do something much more interesting).

Yes, he can certainly do more interesting and harmful stuff. But, doing harm without being detected would be worse and SDP modification is one way of doing it.

Thanks again for the review. I will address these comments in the next revision (I will be back in the weekend).

Cheers, acbegen