Re: [apps-discuss] Missing IANA Considerations for TFTP

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Mon, 22 August 2011 06:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:01:24 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <evnikita2@gmail.com>
Cc: Apps-discuss list <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Missing IANA Considerations for TFTP

TFTP is a protocol of ultimate stupidity^^^^naivete, made for a simpler
and less paranoid world; why do you want to touch it at all?

As to why the protocol action from May 1998 does not mention IANA
considerations - this was before the IANA considerations got completely
institutionalized - RFC 2434 was still 5 months in the future.

My very vague memory of this action was that it was a personal effort
from Gary Malkin to promote to Draft the useful parts of the results of
the expired TFTP group, hoping eventually to be on the same level
(Standard) as the base spec. Note that these are advancement-in-grade
RFCs; the Proposed Standard versions were published in 1995.

My recommendation: It's been 15 years or more since someone really cared
about these non-registries. Let this particular corpse sleep in peace.

                         Harald