Re: [apps-discuss] draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch-04: now with a new processing model

"Manger, James" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com> Sat, 05 July 2014 13:37 UTC

From: "Manger, James" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 23:37:15 +1000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-AU
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch-04: now with a new processing model

+1

Pseudo code works well for describing the merge process.

The only remaining non-editorial change required is to remove the following sentence from section 1 "Introduction":

   A JSON merge patch document can only be a JSON array or a JSON
   object.

The pseudo code does not implement this restriction. Two of the test cases in appendix A violate this restriction.

Editorial suggestions:

* Change "marge" to "merge" [section 2, 2nd paragraph, page 3]

* The abstract and into both include the following phrase that is a bit awkward:

   modifications to a subset of target resource's content.

Might read better as:

   modifications to a target resource's content.

* It would be worth explicitly stating that the target resource and merge patch are JSON values. Add a sentence to the end of the 2nd paragraph of section 2 so it reads:

   MergePatch ... takes two arguments: the target resource document
   and the merge patch document. The Target argument can be any
   JSON value, or undefined. The Patch argument can be any JSON value.

* Is the contact in the media type registration (section 4 "IANA Considerations") usually an author as in the draft, or is it better to use, say, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>?

* In section 4 "IANA Considerations" change:
  "same encoding considerations specified in Section 6 [RFC7159]."
  "same encoding considerations specified in Section 8 [RFC7159]."

--
James Manger