Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer-01.txt

Mike Acar <macar@cloudmark.com> Mon, 12 March 2012 21:44 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:44:15 -0700
From: Mike Acar <macar@cloudmark.com>
To: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer-01.txt

On 03/09/2012 01:18 PM, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:

> directories.

Typo: In section 4,

     The member name is equal to the token if it has the same number of
     Unicode characters as token and their codepoints are positionwise
     equal.

Need a "the" between "as" and "token".

You removed one "concrete", but should probably remove the next two.
Since the section begins with

     Evaluation of a JSON Pointer begins with a reference to the root
     value of a JSON text document

the implication is that you're following the pointer and traversing an
existing (concrete) object.

Actually, I suggest rewriting the paragraph, something like:

     While evaluating the JSON Pointer, if the implementation does not
     match the reference token to a member name or array index in the
     currently-referenced value, then the implementation MAY terminate
     evaluation with an error condition.

That said, I'm still concerned that this behavior interacts badly with
Pointers as they're used in JSON Patch. I'll follow up in the patch
thread, though.

--
Mike Acar -                                 - macar at cloudmark dot com