Re: [apps-discuss] [APPS-REVIEW]apps-team review of , draft-cridland-acap-vendor-registry-01

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Mon, 18 October 2010 06:51 UTC

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 07:26:42 +0100
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: lee@cnnic.cn
Cc: apps-review@ietf.org, apps-discuss@ietf.org, dave.cridland@isode.com
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] [APPS-REVIEW]apps-team review of , draft-cridland-acap-vendor-registry-01

Hi Xiaodong,
Thank you for your review.

Xiaodong Lee wrote:

>  I have been selected as the Applications Area Review Team reviewer
> for this draft (for background on apps-review, please see
> http://www.apps.ietf.org/content/applications-area-review-team).
>
> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
> you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
> or AD before posting a new version of the draft.
>
> Document: draft-cridland-acap-vendor-registry-01
>
> Title: The Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA) Application
> Configurations Access Protocol (ACAP) Vendor Subtrees Registry
>
> Reviewer: Xiaodong Lee
>
> Review Date: Oct.15 2010
>
> Review Summary: This draft is ready for publication as an Proposed
> Standard and should be revised before publication.
>
> Major Issues:
> This document extend the character set from ASCII to UNICODE for
> internationalization, it only defines the valid character scope of
> vendor-name, no string-prep procedures are defined, for example, to
> deal with the full-width and half-width problem, which may cause
> problems to registry.

I think you've misunderstood. RFC 2244 allowed for Unicode here already,
but it never specified any Unicode normalization rules.
This document actually restricts the allowed characters to a subset of
ASCII, because of existing uses in various IMAP (and Sieve) extensions.
So no Unicode normalization would be needed.

Having said that, the document might not be very clear on this.

> Minor Issues:
> section 3.2  "iana-vendor-tag     = 1*(ALPHA / DIGIT / SP / "-")".
> 4 types of characters are chosen. Need explanation why these 4 types?
> For example, why not "&" (ampersand)? which is also often appears in
> vendor-name.

I will let the author comment on this.

> Nits:
> title: "... Application Configurations ..." should be "Configuration",
> according to RFC2244.

Good catch.