Re: [apps-discuss] 2006 proposal to add spam score and spam notification to email

Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com> Sun, 05 August 2012 02:26 UTC

Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 19:08:54 -0700
From: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
To: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietfa.amsl.com
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] 2006 proposal to add spam score and spam notification to email

Apologies in advance if this ground has already been covered and decided
on at the F2F meeting....

> During the apparea/appwg discussion of
> draft-ordogh-spam-reporting-using-imap, I was asked to send
> information regarding a proposal I'd made a number of years back to
> do this.

> Attached are slides outlining the proposal from July 27, 2006 (so
> pretty much exactly six years ago).  Page 20, for example, shows spam
> score being included in the message notification to the client, and
> the client sending an indication if a message is or is not spam back
> to the server.

Yes, this seems like the right overall model to me. Of course there needs
to be consensus on that, and then the devil will be in the details.

I guess my question is how to proceed. I'm not wild about the current draft for
various reasons, but most of all because it already nails down too many of the
specifics that I think need to be open for discussion and consensus. And it
does it without really specifying the overall model, which I think needs to be
clearly laid out.

My idea of an approach is to:

(1) Get agreement on the model (or if you prefer, information flow)
(2) Decide on what sort of information is carried, e.g.,
    spam/notspam, spam/notspam/undetermined, spam score, spam/virus scores,
    something even more general
(3) Decide on mechanism, e.g., headers, flags, annotations, commands

Does this sort of approach make sense? Can it be done in appsawg or do we need
a WG?

				Ned