Re: [apps-discuss] Review of draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade-03

Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no> Tue, 24 April 2012 17:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:34:21 +0200
From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade.all@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Review of draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade-03

On 04/24/2012 01:23 AM, Ted Hardie wrote:
> Hi Arnt,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.  I've added the apps-discuss list to the
> distribution; I forgot them on the original, though they are usually
> cc'ed on appsdir reviews.

I wondered about that. "Shouldn't there be a Cc to that mailing list
that always refuses my reply?"

> I certainly hope that internationalized mail to conventional mail will
> be a corner case,
> but I'm not sure my personal crystal ball is clear enough for me to be
> certain that will be so.

My path to enlightenment was:

Assume that you have EAI and I not. Then your first mail would have been
the last in this thread. At that point I have two options: Accept not
replying (in which case the message count stays at one) or upgrade my
client (which is bothering me to do so anyway, as chance will have it).

How many times will I accept not being able to reply before I either
shout at you (on the phone) to stop being so $#@$!#@$ internationalized
or upgrade my own client? Few enough, I guess, that it remains an odd case.

(I'm told this how Microsoft makes people upgrade to new versions of Word.)

> I am not sure*any*  downgrade doc belongs on the standards track, if that helps
> clarify my review.  I think losing security characteristics of the
> sent message in order
> to accomplish post-transformation delivery is a trade-off that raises
> general concerns,
> especially where a signature is present.

Yeah. You could say that's why it was do easy for John to goad me into
writing this document. I feel that the transition period (when most
users have only conventional clients but some users send some
internationalized mail) is bad and ugly and should be abbreviated at
almost any cost, and therefore implementers should get to work
implementing EAI proper rather than downgrade.

Maybe -simpledowngrade should mention how wondrously easy it is for an
IMAP client to learn to read internationalized email? (Sending may be a
little tricky, but reading really is simple.)

>> >  You seem to be describing a user who knows much about internationalized
>> >  mail, who corresponds using internationalized mail, but who has no software
>> >  that supports it. Yes, it's hard on that user;)
>> >
> I think I am describing a conventional user more than an internationalized email
> user.  If you have an expectation that an email message should contain
> certain things
> (or your user agent checks for validity by looking for specific
> things), this won't even present
> you nonsense in some places you are expecting sense.  It simply cuts
> the data.  How can
> the user or her delegated software assess that?

How can you assess the validity of an email message which uses new
syntax? Syntax you don't understand?

For an IMAP client willing to learn the new syntax, the answer is easy.
Send one ENABLE command (in IMAP) and learn to accept UTF-8 in all the
places where you only accepted ASCII until now. For someone not willing
to learn the new syntax, I don't think the question can have any very
good answer.

>> >  The assessment data is generally ASCII now, why would that change?
>> >
> If I craft a message without any of the headers that this allows me to
> excise and with
> .invalid-ed in From and Re-sent From, how can the user or the user
> agent distinguish
> that from the action of the server here?

Why is that task worth supporting?

I can think of an easy way to support it within simpledowngrade (a new
FETCH item). But issuing the ENABLE command and doing the analysis based
on the pristine message is just as easy.

>> >  I haven't added anything like this, because I'm not sure which document
>> >  should contain it.
>> >
>> >  I'll happily supply text.
>> >
> Thanks.  A pointer to text in another document would be equally valid.

My gut feeling is that we'll end up with an overview document of some
sort which links to both downgrade documents, and that that document is
the right place. But I confess I haven't tried to work out what that
means in concrete terms.

>> >  Would you be happy if the document specifies explicitly that the stored form
>> >  has to be the original message, not the synthesised form?
> Yes, I think that would be a useful addition.

OK.

Arnt