Re: [arch-d] What Problems are We Solving for the Internet Architecture

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Tue, 28 February 2006 22:17 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [arch-d] What Problems are We Solving for the Internet Architecture
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:16:56 -0800
To: "Bound, Jim" <Jim.Bound@hp.com>
Cc: architecture-discuss@ietf.org

On Feb 27, 2006, at 10:47 PM, Bound, Jim wrote:
> I suggest we make a productive list of what problems need solving
> and then discuss and get input on the priority of those problems, a
> list of high level views on solutions, the probability of
> implementation, and how a transition would be developed to take us
> there. Also keep suggestions within the bounds of an SDO, which is
> what the IETF is and its charter, mission, and objective.
>
> Example:
>
> Problem: Transport Layer needs to provide in the market failover to
> new IP address, but not tear down the IP session association. TCP/
> UDP do not provide session layer failover to multiple IP
> addresses.  SCTP does permit this behavior.  How do we deprecate
> TCP/UDP so SCTP can become the dominant NGN for the Transport
> Layer, is there anything the IETF can do? (Ignoring DCCP for this
> example).

This particular problem is IMHO not well stated. STCP is designed for
a different problem than TCP. It is designed basically to support
transaction processing in what is sometimes called a TCP-friendly
manner, where a transaction might be as short as a few hundred bytes
or as long as a few tens of thousands. TCP was designed as a class
four transport supporting a single synchronized exchange, and in its
testing has historically been used where there is one thing that
someone wants to do, such as move a file or support an echoplex
exchange.

I would argue that we want to see SCTP deployment, but the matter of
IP Address replacement can be handled either by deployment of SCTP
for the single-serial-session purposes, or TCP could sprout the
capability.

The architectural question is really, I think, to complete the
separation between the internet and transport layers, so that a
transport layer session is not tied to a single address pair. In TCP,
we could simply copy the SCTP approach, which has the session tied to
a single address pair at any given time, or we could have each TCP-
speaker simply announce to the other the various addresses it might
use, and one the announcement has been reliably received, have it
assume that segments might arrive from any of the peer's announced
addresses to any one of this system's addresses, but using the same
port pair and other TCB state. In that case, the peer is able to
spread his traffic on all address pairs if it suits him, or change
them at a whim, because instead of the TCP session having one address/
port-pair tuple that identifies it, it has m*n identifiers that are
mutual aliases, all equally valid at any given time.

> Priority Questions:
>
> - Important to SHIM6, HIP, and Mobile IP. Are these priorities and
> are they building shims around TCP/UDP.

Personally, I think each of these has its place operationally and yet
is also something of a kluge and overkill. That, to me, is the single
biggest reason that the marketplace hasn't necessarily adopted them
or is driving these solutions.

If TCP and SCTP can announce an alternate address like I described
above, now add the concept that they could withdraw an announced
address. Mobile handover just got fixed - at least the easy case in
which there is a multiple RTT overlap during which the moving
endpoint can send a message that announces the new address and
withdraws the old one. The problem is of course that the datagram is
unreliable; the moving endpoint would want to send it from its "old"
address, the one its peer knows, and at least on a retransmission
would want to send it to each of the announced addresses of its peer.
That still doesn't address the case in which the "old" address simply
stops working (the mobile device turns a corner and simultaneously
loses the "old" and starts acquisition of the "new"). So there may
also be a requirement for a way for an entirely new session from what
would appear to be an unknown party to identify and authenticate
itself, produce the TCP/SCTP state that it knows, and pick up where
it had previously left off. That would require some concept of a
session identifier... See RFC 2103.

Say "Locator/Endpoint Identifier split" (RFC 1992)... but it goes
beyond Nimrod routing; while the Locator is a network layer address,
the Endpoint Identifier is a session layer concept, and what we're
really saying is that we need some form of session management layer
that lives *above* the transport. Note I didn't say "the ISO Session
Layer" - please God, no - but something that lives in about that
place and securely manages sessions.

By the way, if I wrote a I-D named "we actually need a session
management layer", how would I identify it? Is that draft-baker-arch-
*-??.txt?

> - Would this help with network location vs. identification of node/
> device/sensor

I think so. That said, I'm not entirely convinced that the Endpoint
ID needs to be numeric. The Nimrod architecture discusses a binary
value (the EID) and an ASCII value (the Endpoint Label or EL). What I
think is actually necessary is a globally unique thingamajig that can
be used to identify the system one wants to talk with, and it could
be a network layer address (as in IP Mobility), an ASCII or Unicode
name, or something else. That value of it being "something else" is
that one avoids the overloadings implicit in re-using something that
was actually designed for something else. However, using a network
layer address has the elegance of providing a defined way to find the
thing, and using a DNS name has the elegance of already having a way
to look things up. If we do "something else", we have to add that new
thing to the mechanisms by which we do things, and do so in an
elegant way. That might be hard.

> - Is there a security advantage to supporting as dominant SCTP
> Transport Layer context.

I think that's the wrong question. SCTP and TCP (and UDP if you
include the methods by which the relevant application uses it) are
implementations of the transport concept, not "the transport".

> - Does it work for both IPv4 and IPv6.

The guy Nimrod is named for is fairly disgusted with IPv6 because it
didn't address this problem and in its addressing architecture didn't
leave him room to do a next generation routing architecture. If you
really want to address it, I *think* it can be done without re-
defining the IPv6 address, but be prepared for that question to come up.

> - What customers in the market would find this useful for IETF to
> work on this as SDO.

I have heard from various ISPs that they would like to see this
addressed. Many of those ISPs also tell me that I can deploy any
routing protocol I like as long as it is BGP. So take that with an
appropriate dosage of salt. I have also heard from various enterprise
customers that they have problems that this kind of thing might be a
solution to. I haven't heard them say that this is the solution they
are looking for, however; they usually come in with a marketing pitch
from one competitor or another and ask us what we think about it, as
opposed to saying "what I would really like to do is solve <this>
problem" or "I need a solution that looks kinda sorta like <this>".
So while this is IMHO a useful class of solution, I haven't got a
trivially obvious way to tie it to a customer-felt problem. The
latter really helps...

> - What enhancements could be made to SCTP for QoS Statistics
> Gathering, Security, etc.

I believe that you actually will benefit from putting those in
separate architectural entities.

Let me give you an example. If you look at the TCP state machine, a
fair bit of it is there to support graceful close - the concept that
we would like to close the pipe, but not before making sure that all
traffic has made it through the pipe in both directions. There is
complexity there, and a bug (the TIME_WAIT issue) that TCP
implementations have to fix. The Xerox Sequenced Packet Protocol is
much simpler, and relegates graceful close to the higher layer, but
provides a standard mechanism to accomplish it. Basically, each peer
tells the other using a tag that it has sent its last packet, and
acknowledges receipt of that tag with another tagged message. When a
peer has announced to its peer that it is done and the peer has
acknowledged that, and it has received the "FIN" tag from the peer
and sent its acknowledge, it sets a timer, and when the timer pops it
clears the shared state. By moving graceful close tot he next higher
layer but providing a mechanism in SPP for the client to use, the
entire problem is simplified and made to work well.

There are two kinds of transport layer security: securing the data in
the channel, and securing the channel. These might be TLS and IPsec
in our environment, or there might be other solutions. Statistics is
the province of a statistical entity, I should think, but probably
has support in the instrumented entity.

> Implementation Questions:
>
> - What are the ramifications to current installed base networks and
> applications?

I think you have to assume that there will be a long coexistence
period. People will switch from a to b as vendor software enables
them to and as they are motivated to turn it on. Think in terms of
successful solutions being ones that result in tangible monetary
benefits both to the end user and the the providers of the services.

> - What could be done with APIs?

A lot. Can't comment further without more detail on what they are
APIs from and to.

> Transition Questions:
>
> - Is a transition from TCP/UDP required?

I think not, but there is an enhancement to TCP that is required, and
I would suggest that migrating from UDP to SCTP has value.

> - If yes what would be the needs of such a transition?
>
> - What would be the engineering costs of such a transition?
>
> - How disruptive would the transition be to those using the
> specifications from the IETF for their Internet Architecture?
>
> - Who are the non IETF stakeholders?
>
> This is the type of discussion that is required in some format as
> opposed to just a stream of consciousness.

Yes.