Re: [art] Auto-configuring Email Clients via WebFinger

"Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com> Tue, 16 July 2019 17:06 UTC

From: "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>, art@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 17:06:29 +0000
Subject: Re: [art] Auto-configuring Email Clients via WebFinger

John,

The scheme you show is very similar to the WebFinger proposal.
Essentially, the client queries a well-known address and is given a JSON
document inside of which is the URL of the config file.  That config
could easily be put into the initial query, but folks did not want to do
that back then.  I do have an old example of how to do that, though, but
it's not in this draft (since security concerns were expressed back
then).

Another thing to consider is migration.  When a service provider needs
to move a bunch of users from one server cluster to another, would it
make more sense to write configs into the customer's /autoconfig/
directories or update config files they maintain separately?

Given the push-back I got about XML back then, too, it's probably best
this is in JSON format (though, again, I have no strong preference).

I think a standard needs to exist so that client developers can adhere
to something and I think it's unfortunate all we have a vendor-specific
solutions.

Do others agree?  Or am I one of the few who has this frustration?  I
suspect I'm not. :)

Paul