Re: [Asrg] The Solution To Spam - The First Response

Kee Hinckley <nazgul@somewhere.com> Thu, 03 July 2003 18:29 UTC

To: Ken Hirsch <kenhirsch@myself.com>
From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul@somewhere.com>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] The Solution To Spam - The First Response
Cc: asrg@ietf.org
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:56:11 -0400

At 8:40 PM -0400 7/2/03, Ken Hirsch wrote:
>  > for how you use it afterwards.  I would guess that, at a minimum,
>>  the level of support you are requesting would result in a fee on the
>>  order of $1000/year in order to support the necessary infrastructure
>>  and support needs.  It might be somewhat lower because the volume of
>>  sales would be many orders of magnitude higher than SSL certs, but I
>>  can't see it being any cheaper.
>
>You say that like it's a bad thing.  If it would reduce the number of
>SMTP servers by one or two orders of magnitude, that's great! Perhaps

I'm not sure why that would be good.  But leaving that aside.

>But your assertion does not really check out.  The extra cost for
>identify verification should be on the order of $100 for the first
>year and maybe $30 extra per renewal.

Identify verification is only part of the proposal I was responding
to.  The other piece was verifying the good behavior of cert owner.
That requires a clearing house for complaints, an arbitration
process, and a mechanism for ensuring that the same person doesn't
pop up under a different name (which is a different sort of
verification problem, as you point out).  That's where I'd expect the
expense to come.

Never mind the question of how you certify someone in a country that
doesn't have as codified a banking and company registration system as
those where most SSL certs are issued.

>So, how much do CAs charge for code-signing certificates, which should
>be comparable?  The most expensive is Verisign, which is $400 the
>first year and $300 for renewals.  Others are half that.

Code signing certs are probably a better example than SSL certs.  Do
you know how they handle complaints and revocations?

>Right now the PKI is weak on certificate revocation, but that's not
>strictly necessary. Third parties can label a given identity as a
>spammer, just as they do for IP addresses.

Right now virtually none of those third parties have an arbitration
process.  That would have to change.

Modulo the problem of countries without a reliable certification
structure, I actually I think that requiring signed certs on mail
servers is a reasonable thing to do.  Forget revocation for spamming
and the like.  At the very least it would solve the open-proxy
problem.  But the third-world problem is a very real one.  One of the
benefits of email right now is that it has created a level playing
field for communication throughout the entire world.  Cutting the
third-world out of the information flow is not something I want to do.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account

everyone else's.