RE: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses them all

Kee Hinckley <nazgul@somewhere.com> Tue, 11 March 2003 19:35 UTC

To: Jason Hihn <jhihn@paytimepayroll.com>
From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul@somewhere.com>
Subject: RE: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses them all
Cc: asrg@ietf.org
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:16:57 -0500

At 1:10 PM -0500 3/11/03, Jason Hihn wrote:
>I don't share in your pessimism. If we can make reasonable assurances that
>in 5 years spam is a thing of the past, then I think we'll hop on board.
>
>According to your logic, we should never buy houses because it will never
>pay off. We should just stick to renting, because it's cheap and it works
>well enough.

I'll try one more time.

1. The benefits of buying a house are immediate.
2. The benefits of buying a house do not depend on everyone else
buying a house.
3. The buyer of a house is not faced with a choice of multiple
houses, only one of which will be liveable in five years.

If those were not the case--people would rent.

I think maybe you're thinking that it isn't a gamble, because all the
ISPs will get together and agree to do something.  But that won't
happen, because there are plenty of ISPs who aren't going to play the
game.  If we could rely on all the ISPs to agree on something, we
wouldn't have a problem right now, because they would have agreed not
to allow spammers on their networks.  However there are clearly ISPs,
and entire countries, who have decided that it is to their benefit to
spam.  Other's are caught in unfortunately legal agreements.  Still
others simply don't know they are being taken advantage of.  Your
proposal is not going to change any of that, and it won't be
effective until the number of authenticated messages so overwhelms
the non-authenticated that we can afford to block them.  Read what
people have said about acceptable false-positive rates.

Alternatively, you believe that if we make it a standard, they will
come.  There are lots of standards out there.  Lots of RFCs.  Which
one will be implemented is a completely different question.  Back in
1989 I co-founded a company that made a multimedia email client and
server that ran on Unix.  There was a Unix desktop standard.  RFC1154
gave us a standard for multimedia attachments.  And for those people
who were going to use the new international standard for email,
X.400, we supported that as well.  Everyone agreed that Unix on the
desktop was going to take off and the standards organizations were
all pointing at X.400 as the future.  We made that gamble because we
were three guys working out of our living rooms.  Established
companies don't take that kind of risk.  The payoff is not worth it.
And in that case they would have been right.  MIME replaced RFC1154.
Unix *still* isn't a desktop operating system.  And X.400 died a
well-deserved death.

I think authentication is the way to go as well.  But we have to find
a method that has immediate benefits to the people who have to do the
work and pay the cost.  That's why I'm focused on the idea of
requiring authentication only for bulk mailers, and using existing
tools to identify what messages are bulk.  I'm not convinced that it
will work.  But I am convinced that it applies the changes in the
places where people are incented to make them.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.