Re: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> Wed, 05 March 2003 04:53 UTC

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
To: Brad Templeton <brad@templetons.com>
Cc: moore@cs.utk.edu, paul.judge@ciphertrust.com, vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com, asrg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 23:49:28 -0500

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 20:00:08 -0800
Brad Templeton <brad@templetons.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 08:59:16PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> > To a recipient, spam is mail he finds annoying, doesn't want to receive,
> > and
> >
> > To an ISP, spam is what violates its AUP.  Alternately, it's what
> > customers To a sender, spam is whatever someone else is doing.  No spammer
> > sees himself
>

> The purpose of a definition of spam is to use legal tactics against
> it, typically in contract law, but also possibly in statute.

I don't think it's necessary, or particularly useful, for us to try to nail
down "the" definition of spam in objective terms.

I agree (for the reasons you cited, and probably others) that the definition
of spam used in anti-spam laws needs to be different than a recipient's
definition of spam.  The kind of spam that a recipient wants to block, or that
an ISP might want to forbid, might not match the definition of spam in
anti-spam laws.  And it might be useful for a recipient to be able to block
things that don't match the legal definition, and for ISPs to be able to
filter such traffic based on a recipient's instrctions.  If nothing else, such
laws and their definitions of spam will vary from one jurisdiction to
another.

> However, for a system to be implemented by the IETF or similar body,
> a much narrower concensus is required, as this will be the default
> for much of the E-mail system of the world.

I doubt that it's appropriate for IETF to try to standardize means of blocking
or filtering only what IETF thinks is spam, and I didn't read this IRTF
group's charter as suggesting that kind of approach.

Keith