Re: [Asrg] Proven solution for authenticating messages

Prasenjeet Dutta <bulk@chaoszone.org> Tue, 04 March 2003 07:20 UTC

From: Prasenjeet Dutta <bulk@chaoszone.org>
To: asrg@ietf.org
CC: mike.pearson@ssc.govt.nz
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Proven solution for authenticating messages
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:50:25 +0530

Hadmut Danisch wrote:

> - Almost the same could be achieved by simply using the
>   STARTTLS command of ESMTP. Our rackland server is configured
>   to use it, but a view on the log files shows that extremely
>   few other servers support this.
 >
>   Why not simply use TLS if it already exists and is implemented?
>   Because people refuse to use it.

It could also be because most PKI infrastructure is based on the X.509
model, which (though scalable) requires folk needing a certificate to
cough up cash to CAs like Verisign. Also, for secure personal
communication (as opposed to electronic commerce), PGP has been arguably
far more popular than S/MIME. Especially given its free, bottom-up 'web
of trust' model, PGP may well succeed where the top-down X.509 has not.

Again, what is the goal of using TLS for email? Securing the messages?
That opens up a new battle with the monitoring agencies. Or is it (from
the anti-spam point of view) to let SMTP servers non-repudiably identify
themselves? If this is the goal, then it can be done with far less
overhead than TLS.

Digital signatures inserted by the *server* (not by the user, who should
not have to bother with the complexity of this) to identify *itself*,
using an  RFC 2440 infrastructure, may be more successful in making
individual SMTP servers identifiable and accountable for what they spew
onto the Internet. Consider this fragment:

O:  Received: from localhost by europa
O:    (Exim version 3.12 #1); Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:10:06
O:  Origin-Server-Identity: public-key;
O:	europa.uri.com (12.10.58.222)
O:  Origin-Server-Key: <mailto:osk+europa@uri.com>
O:  Origin-Server-Signature: rfc2440; encoding=base64
O:	iQA/AwUAPi2tY1VioDO/jwwhEQIyrACg6HYQDh+ynXbfqSp+4hF3kfb6zQIAnRYN
O:	Ca1gPsBiRizLdYbtci4yVJRziQA/AwUAPi2tY1VioDO/jwwhEQIyrACg6HYQDh+y
O:	nXbfqSp+4hF3kfb6zQIAnRYNCa1gPsBiRizLdYbtci4yVJRz
O:	=1cuV
O:  Message-ID: <002b01c2c1b7$30889ab0$1c01010a@europa>

Here, the Origin-Server-Identity and Origin-Server-Key is signed and the
signature is placed inline in the Origin-Server-Signature header. This
signature can even be created offline as a one-time affair. The
recipient server (or a plug-in within it) would have to compare the
stated origin server name/IP address with the actual server name/IP
address, and check if the key is trusted, as well as for revocation.

The best part is, given modern mail servers and their ability to run
plug-ins, all of this is doable without any change to existing MTAs. No
change is required to MUAs or users' email habits as well.

--
Prasenjeet Dutta
http://www.chaoszone.org/