Re: Beginners guide to protocols

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ans.net> Tue, 18 July 1995 19:48 UTC

To: "Spencer, Tim, SPENCETJ" <spencetj@btlip21.bt.co.uk>
Cc: ip-atm <ip-atm@hplms2.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Beginners guide to protocols
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 14:46:45 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ans.net>

In message <300BDB91@smtpgate.comnet.bt.co.uk>, "Spencer, Tim, SPENCETJ" writes
:

> Help! I hope this is an appropriate use of the mailing list. I am looking
> for information on voice/video over IP, and IP over ATM protocols RTP,RSVP,
> TULIP and TUNIC. Can someone please explain in simple non-acronym terms just
> what these protocols do and how they do it, or else suggest where I could
> find suitable documents on the subject. I have tried looking at some of the
> specs and other documents on the IETF server but I'm none the wiser.
>
> Tim Spencer

RTP and RSVP are not ATM protocols.  They are IP protocols and are not
limited to use over ATM.

Look in the internet-drafts directory.  From the file 1id-abstracts
(just titles, I deleted the abstracts themselves):

Audio/Video Transport (avt)
---------------------------

  "RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications", H. Schulzrinne,
  S. Casner, R. Frederick,, 03/21/1995, <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-07.txt, .ps>

  "RTP Profile for Audio and Video Conferences with Minimal Control", H.
  Schulzrinne, 07/07/1995, <draft-ietf-avt-profile-05.txt, .ps>

  "RTP payload format for H.261 video streams", T. Turletti, C. Huitema,
  06/09/1995, <draft-ietf-avt-h261-00.txt>

  "RTP Payload Format of CellB Video Encoding", M. Speer, D. Hoffman,
  06/15/1995, <draft-ietf-avt-cellb-05.txt>

  "RTP Encapsulation of JPEG-compressed video.", W. Fenner, L. Berc, R.
  Frederick,, 03/27/1995, <draft-ietf-avt-jpeg-01.txt>

  "RTP Payload Format for MPEG1/MPEG2 Video", D. Hoffman, G. Fernando, V.
  Goyal,, 07/07/1995, <draft-ietf-avt-mpeg-00.txt>

Resource Reservation Setup Protocol (rsvp)

  "Resource ReSerVation Protocol (RSVP) -- Version 1 Functional
  Specification", R. Braden, L. Zhang, D. Estrin,, 07/07/1995,
  <draft-ietf-rsvp-spec-07.txt, .ps>

  "RSVP Cryptographic Authentication", F. Baker, 04/13/1995,
  <draft-ietf-rsvp-md5-00.txt>

  "Routing Support For RSVP", D. Estrin, S. Shenker, D. Zappala,,
  06/30/1995, <draft-ietf-rsvp-routing-00.txt, .ps>

Also look at the WG directories for the avt (audio visual technology),
int-serv (integrated services), and rsvp WGs.

You can get an idea what TULIP and TUNIC are from the IP over ATM
Framework Document.  Since you mention audio and video, you are
probably also interested in multicast.

IP Over Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ipatm)

  "IP over ATM: A Framework Document", R. Cole, D. Shur, C. Villamizar,,
  06/27/1995, <draft-ietf-ipatm-framework-doc-03.txt, .ps>

  "Support for Multicast over UNI 3.1 based ATM Networks.", G. Armitage,
  05/31/1995, <draft-ietf-ipatm-ipmc-05.txt>

  "IP Multicasting over ATM:  System Architecture Issues", W. Milliken,
  07/07/1995, <draft-ietf-ipatm-arch-00.txt>

There is currently no active work on TULIP and TUNIC (that I know of).

I hope this answers your question.

Curtis

btw- It wasn't really an appropriate question as this is a list for
the business of the WG.  So I guess I shouldn't have answered. :-)