Re: EE Times on IP over ATM

Paul Ferguson <pferguso@cisco.com> Wed, 20 March 1996 00:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 19:46:42 -0500
To: "Albert E. Manfredi" <manfredi@engr05.comsys.rockwell.com>
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: EE Times on IP over ATM
Cc: ip-atm@nexen.com

At 06:23 PM 3/19/96 -0500, Albert E. Manfredi wrote:

>The 18 March 1996 issue of _EE Times_ has an interesting article on
>Ipsilon Network's cell-based IP router. They basically want to toss out
>Q.2931 (too complicated) in favor of IP signaling, but still use the cell
>switching fabric of ATM. IP traffic would be routed through these routers,
>other traffic (DECNET, IPX) would continue to use existing non-cell-based
>routers.
>
>>From my perspective to date,
>
>1. I certainly agree that a lightweight Q.2931 is needed, to speed up call
>setup by a couple of orders of magnitude,
>
>2. I don't see how RSVP can do what it's supposed to do without a
>concurrent upgrade to IP routing protocols (unless, of course, we install
>a hefty amount of spare capacity), and
>
>3. It'll be interesting to see if a lightweight Q.2931 or an upgrade to IP
>routing protocols happens first, or whether the two will be one (fat
>chance?).

I'd venture to say 'Fat Chance'.  :-)

For what its worth, there are a couple of Ipsilon-authored I-Ds which
discuss their proposed methods of flow labelling and management:

 The Transmission of Flow Labelled IPv4 an ATM Data Links;
  draft-rfced-info-flowlabel-00.txt [8 pages]

 Ipsilion Flow Management Protocol Specification for IPv4
  draft-rfced-info-flowman-00.txt [20 pages]

Which can be found in the usual repositories.

- paul

--
Paul Ferguson                                           ||        ||
Consulting Engineering                                  ||        ||