Re: [atoca] Discovery mechanism

Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com> Fri, 04 May 2012 17:10 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 13:10:35 -0400
From: Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com>
To: atoca@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [atoca] Discovery mechanism

Martin,

I agree with you that we need more discussion of what
requirements/scenarios for discovery that we need to support. I like
your list of information that might be used as input for discovery, but
I don't have a clear picture of what a general multi-step discovery
process would look like (this is, of course, why the discovery text in
atoca-meta is incomplete/insufficient).

In particular, let's say I turn on my tablet and connect to the local
Wi-Fi network. I know I'm on an 802.11 network and I know something
about the access point I'm attached to. I roughly know my location and I
know my language preference (English) and the protocols I support (e.g.,
XMPP, SIP, and LEAP).  I want to find a source for weather alerts for my
region, how do I go about this? How similar is this to the case where I
connect my device to a 3G network and want weather alerts via either SIP
or Cell Broadcast?

The approach sketched in atoca-meta is for the access network to put
NAPTR records in the DNS that point my device towards a "metadata
server" that knows about lots of alert sources for the area served by my
access network. However, I realize this doesn't work in all cases. Is it
reasonable to try to you LoST to find a source of alerts for a given
alert type (urn)? What else could we consider trying?

I am not convinced that registration as a function is completely a
function of the delivery mechanism. I believe the working group is
capable of specifying something useful in the registration space that is
applicable to a variety of (although perhaps not all possible) delivery
mechanisms. However, I believe this is a separate discussion and I'd
rather spend our energy trying to get discovery nailed down first

I have refreshed the individual draft-barnes-atoca-meta to keep it from
expiring, but the content is still unchanged from Paris. However, if we
can make some progress on discovery on the list, the authors of
atoca-meta would be happy to re-write that document to provide a better
basis for discussions in Vancouver.

- Matt Lepinski