Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9550 <draft-ietf-detnet-pof-11> for your review

Rebecca VanRheenen <rvanrheenen@amsl.com> Wed, 06 March 2024 20:54 UTC

From: Rebecca VanRheenen <rvanrheenen@amsl.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 12:53:49 -0800
Cc: RFC Editor <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, "detnet-ads@ietf.org" <detnet-ads@ietf.org>, "detnet-chairs@ietf.org" <detnet-chairs@ietf.org>, "lberger@labn.net" <lberger@labn.net>, "rdd@cert.org" <rdd@cert.org>, "auth48archive@rfc-editor.org" <auth48archive@rfc-editor.org>
To: Balázs Varga A <balazs.a.varga=40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Janos Farkas <Janos.Farkas@ericsson.com>, "stephan.kehrer@belden.com" <stephan.kehrer@belden.com>, "tobias.heer@belden.com" <tobias.heer@belden.com>
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9550 <draft-ietf-detnet-pof-11> for your review

Hi Bala’zs,

Thank you for responding to our questions! We have updated the document per your responses and have a few followup questions/comments:

1) This question for Stephan and Tobias is still open:

> 1) <!-- [rfced] This is a question for Stephan and Tobias. Would you like to use a shortened form of your affiliation in the first-page header and then the full name in the Authors' Addresses section? Please review the first-page header in each of the output formats (txt, html, and pdf), and let us know your thoughts.
> -->

2) Please review “POF functionality” here. Should this be updated to “POF”, or is the current okay?

Original:
   *  to eliminate the delay variation caused by the packet ordering.
      Dealing with delay variation is a DetNet forwarding sub-layer
      target and it can be achieved for example by placing a de-jitter
      buffer or flow regulator (e.g., shaping) function after the POF
      functionality.

3) Should “POF” in this sentence be updated to “POF algorithms”? We ask because the title of the section is “Selecting and Using the POF Algorithms”.

Current:
   Using the POF and
   calculating its parameters require proper design.

Perhaps:
   Using the POF algorithms and
   calculating their parameters require proper design.

4) Regarding this question:

>> d) Please review the usage of the articles "a" or "the" with PEF, PRF, and POF when used as a noun. An article is used in some instances but not others. Are any updates needed, or is the current usage acceptable? This may be on a case-by-case basis. A few examples with and without the article are listed below.
>>
>> Some examples with article (the POF, the POF, the PEF):
>>
>>   Note: the difference of sequence number in consecutive packets is
>>   bounded due to the history window of the Elimination function before
>>   the POF.
>>
>>   Error cases in which duplicate packets are
>>   presented to the POF can lead to out of order delivery of duplicate
>>   packets as well as to increased delays.
>>
>>   The algorithm further requires that the delay difference between two
>>   replicated packets that arrive at the PEF before the POF is bounded
>>   and known.
>>
>> Some examples with no article (PEF, POF, POF):
>>
>>   For example, under normal
>>   circumstances the difference of sequence number in consecutive
>>   packets is bounded due to the history window of PEF.
>>
>>   POF only provides ordering within the latency bound of a
>>   DetNet flow, and does not provide any additional reliability.
>>
>>   POF ensures in-order delivery for packets being within the latency
>>   bound of the (DetNet) flow.  POF does not correct errors in the
>>   packet flow e.g., duplicate packets, too late packets.
>> -->
> <BalazsV> Right. As a non-native speaker, I have to admit having issues with articles. Sorry for that. I would trust your suggestions.

We updated to use articles in several instances as we see that usage in RFC 8655 (normatively referenced by this document). Please review.

_______________

Updated XML file:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9550.xml

Updated output files:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9550.txt
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9550.pdf
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9550.html

Diff file showing all changes made during AUTH48:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9550-auth48diff.html

Diff files showing all changes:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9550-diff.html
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9550-rfcdiff.html (side-by-side diff)
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9550-alt-diff.html (diff showing changes where text is moved or deleted)

Note that it may be necessary for you to refresh your browser to view the most recent version.

For the AUTH48 status of this document, please see:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9550

Thank you,
RFC Editor/rv