Re: [auth48] *[Document Shepherd] Re: AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9507 <draft-irtf-icnrg-icntraceroute-11> for your review

Lynne Bartholomew <lbartholomew@amsl.com> Tue, 14 November 2023 19:01 UTC

From: Lynne Bartholomew <lbartholomew@amsl.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 11:01:19 -0800
Cc: "David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net>, "rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org" <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, smastor2@nd.edu, iliamo@mailbox.org, jcgibson61@gmail.com, rdroms.ietf@gmail.com, IRSG <irsg@irtf.org>, auth48archive <auth48archive@rfc-editor.org>
To: Dirk Kutscher <ietf@dkutscher.net>
Subject: Re: [auth48] *[Document Shepherd] Re: AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9507 <draft-irtf-icnrg-icntraceroute-11> for your review

Hi, Dirk.  Thank you for your quick reply on this!

We will hold publication of 9507 and 9508 until pathsteering is ready.  We've noted this on <https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9507> and <https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9508>.

Thanks again!

RFC Editor/lb

> [...]
>>> to indicate that the packet types are something other than ICN (e.g.,
>>> the titles of Sections 4.1 and 5.1 are "ICN Traceroute Request CCNx
>>> Packet Format" and "ICN Traceroute Request NDN Packet Format",
>>> respectively). Should "ICN" be added to these section titles (4.2
>>> and 5.2) so that any needed distinction is clear to readers?
>>> Original:
>>> 4.2. Traceroute Reply CCNx Packet Format
>>> 5.2. Traceroute Reply NDN Packet Format -->
>>> Ok to add “ICN” in front of these, though I doubt anyone would think they were anything else once they got past the introduction.
>>>    • <!-- [rfced] Section 4.2: Figures 5 and 6 have identical titles,
>>> but the diagrams have different fields. Should the title of
>>> Figure 6 be changed in order to distinguish it from Figure 5?
>>> Original:
>>> Figure 5: Traceroute Reply Message Format
>>> Figure 6: Traceroute Reply Message Format
>>> Possibly:
>>> Figure 5: Traceroute Reply Message Format
>>> Figure 6: Traceroute Reply PayloadType TLV Format -->
>>> Good catch. Yes the change is correct.
>>>    • <!-- [rfced] Section 4.2: This sentence does not parse. If the
>>> suggested text is not correct, please clarify what "whether" refers
>>> to.
>>> Also, please search for the word "existence" in
>>> draft-irtf-icnrg-icnping-12 as well, to see if any updates are needed
>>> there in order to synchronize these two documents.
>>> I’ll do that in our reply to the Auth48 on icnping.
>>> Original:
>>> 3) a TLV with return codes to indicate whether the request was
>>> satisfied due to the existence of a local application, a CS hit
>>> or a match with a forwarder's name, or the HopLimit value of the
>>> corresponding request reached 0.
>>> Suggested:
>>> 3) a TLV with return codes to indicate whether the request was
>>> satisfied due to the existence of a local application, a CS hit,
>>> a match with a forwarder's name, or the HopLimit value of the
>>> corresponding request reaching 0. -->
>>> Yes. Good change.
>>>    • <!-- [rfced] Section 4.2: Do the colons after the numbers indicate
>>> that these are actual values (e.g., "value of 1", "value of 2" ...,
>>> Yes, they are the actual values.
>>> in which case perhaps we could use "Value = 1:", "Value = 2:" ...),
>>> or is this a numbered list (in which case the colons should be
>>> periods)?
>>> Alternatively, if values 1 through 4 are indicated, we could change
>>> "The assigned values" to "The four assigned values".
>>> Sure, that’s fine.
>>> Original ("the the" has been corrected):
>>> The structure of the TrReply Code TLV is presented below (16-bit
>>> value). The assigned values are the following:
>>> 1: Indicates that the target name matched the administrative name of
>>> a forwarder (as served by its internal management application).
>>> 2: Indicates that the target name matched a prefix served by an
>>> application (other than the internal management application of a
>>> forwarder).