Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9488 <draft-ietf-pce-local-protection-enforcement-11> for your review

Rebecca VanRheenen <rvanrheenen@amsl.com> Mon, 02 October 2023 21:12 UTC

From: Rebecca VanRheenen <rvanrheenen@amsl.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:12:50 -0700
Cc: RFC Editor <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, "pce-ads@ietf.org" <pce-ads@ietf.org>, "pce-chairs@ietf.org" <pce-chairs@ietf.org>, "julien.meuric@orange.com" <julien.meuric@orange.com>, "jgs@juniper.net" <jgs@juniper.net>, "auth48archive@rfc-editor.org" <auth48archive@rfc-editor.org>
To: "Andrew Stone (Nokia)" <andrew.stone@nokia.com>, "Mustapha Aissaoui (Nokia)" <mustapha.aissaoui@nokia.com>, "ssidor@cisco.com" <ssidor@cisco.com>, "ssivabal@ciena.com" <ssivabal@ciena.com>
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9488 <draft-ietf-pce-local-protection-enforcement-11> for your review

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the updated XML file! Responses to your points about questions 12, 17, and 18f are below in addition to a comment about question 18a. Links to the updated files are also listed below.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or comments.

>> 12) <!-- [rfced] In Table 1, would it be helpful to list bit 6 first and then bit 7
>> (matches IANA registry)? Or do you prefer the current (matches order mentioned in
>> text before table)?
>> -->
>
> [andrew] Updated to keep consistency with IANA registry and reading the bit object definition from left to right.
>
> [andrew] Is it recommended to also update the order of the bit descriptions as well?

The current looks good to us. Let us know if you think any further changes are needed.

>> 17) <!-- [rfced] Would you like the references to be alphabetized or left in their
>> current order?
>> -->
>
> [andrew] No preference, Okay to proceed with alphabetized if it is commonly recommended and also okay to keep as is.

We alphabetized the references as this is more common in the RFC Series (though it is not required).

>> 18f) We see that "LSP object" is used in both RFCs 8231 and 8281,
>> but "LSP Attribute Object" (or "LSPA") is not used in either. Should the
>> sentence below be updated to reflect usage in the cited documents?
>>

>> Original:
>> It is
>> important to note that [RFC8231] and [RFC8281] permit the LSP
>> Attribute Object to be included in PCUpd messages for PCC-initiated
>> and PCE-initiated LSPs.
>> -->
>
> [andrew] LSPA is defined in RFC5440 section 7.11. This is the base PCEP RFC (stateless, only defines PcReq Msg).
> LSP and LSPA are seperate objects. LSPA is referenced in RFC8231, see definition in RFC8231 section 6.4.
> As per section 6.4, The LSPA object follows immediately after the LSP object in other message exchanges defined in that RFC (ex:
> PcUpd).
> The flag is embedded within the LSP Attribute object, not the LSP Object,
> thus needs to remain referencing the "attribute" object.
>
> Perhaps a citation to RFC5440?:
>
>    It is
>    important to note that [RFC8231] and [RFC8281] permit the LSP
>    Attribute Object([RFC5440]) to be included in PCUpd messages for PCC-initiated
>    and PCE-initiated LSPs.

Thank you for the clarification. We added the [RFC5440] citation.

>> 18a) Please confirm the name/description for the E flag defined in this
>> document. We see the following forms used in the document:
>>

>> Enforcement
>> Protection Enforcement
>> Local Protection Enforcement
>>

>> Note: The current name in the "LSPA Object Flag Field" registry is "Protection
>> Enforcement" (see
>> https://www.iana.org/assignments/pcep/pcep.xhtml#lspa-object-flag-field<https://www.iana.org/assignments/pcep/pcep.xhtml#lspa-object-flag-field>); if
>> needed, we will request an update to the registry prior to publication.
>
> [Andrew] 'Protection Enforcement' should be used.

We updated two instances to use “Protection Enforcement”. See Sections 1 and 5 (Table 1). Please review.

______________

Updated XML file:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9488.xml

Updated output files:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9488.txt
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9488.pdf
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9488.html

Diff file showing all changes made during AUTH48:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9488-auth48diff.html

Diff files showing all changes:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9488-diff.html
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9488-rfcdiff.html (side-by-side diff)
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9488-alt-diff.html (diff showing changes where text is moved or deleted)

Note that it may be necessary for you to refresh your browser to view the most recent version.

For the AUTH48 status of this document, please see:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9488

Thank you,
RFC Editor/rv