Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9438 <draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc8312bis-15> for your review

Lynne Bartholomew <lbartholomew@amsl.com> Tue, 27 June 2023 21:53 UTC

From: Lynne Bartholomew <lbartholomew@amsl.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:53:39 -0700
Cc: "rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org" <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, Lisong Xu <xu@unl.edu>, sangtae.ha@colorado.edu, injongrhee@gmail.com, lars@eggert.org, tcpm-ads@ietf.org, tcpm-chairs@ietf.org, nsd.ietf@gmail.com, martin.h.duke@gmail.com, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
To: Vidhi Goel <vidhi_goel=40apple.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9438 <draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc8312bis-15> for your review

Hi, Vidhi.  Thank you for the email.

We have updated this document per your notes below.

We have some follow-up questions for you:

Regarding this item and your reply:

> 2) <!— [rfced] Per the flag from idnits (below), should this document
> include the pre-RFC5378 disclaimer?
>
> [VG] Ok to grant BCP78 rights to the IETF trust. Have discussed and got approval from all the co-authors of RFC 8312.

Apologies; does this mean "yes" or "no" to adding the pre-RFC5378 disclaimer?

= = = = =

Regarding these two items and your replies:

> 19) <!— [rfced] Section 4.6: xml2rfc yields the following warnings,
> indicating that the following text makes the lines too long for
> both HTML and text output files (PDF is OK):
>
> [VG] Attached HTML file looks unchanged. I don't see (a), (b) and (c) in it. Although we are fine with the suggestion.
. . .
> 23) <!— [rfced] Section 4.7: xml2rfc yields the following warning
> for the "if cwnd < W and fast convergence enabled," line in
> the graphic just after the second paragraph of the section. This
> warning indicates that the line is too long for the text output:
>
> [VG] Removing the spaces is fine.

We did not make any updates, because we do not know how to update the corresponding SVG.

= = = = =

Regarding this item and your reply:

> 24) <!— [rfced] Section 4.9: Per the "two types of spurious events"
> sentence in this section, it appears that "spurious fast
> retransmits" and "Spurious loss detected by acknowledgments" refer to
> the same phenomenon. Please confirm that this will be clear to
> readers.
>
> [VG] This is interesting. To make it more clear, we can replace Spurious loss to Spurious retransmit in the title (4.9.2) as well as in the corresponding text in this section.

We see a total of eight instances of "spurious loss(es)" -- two instances in the section title and six instances in text.  Should all instances of "spurious loss(es)" be replaced with "spurious retransmit(s)"?

= = = = =

Regarding this item (our question 34)b)):

> b) Please let us know how/if the following should be made consistent:
>
> 1-β / 1 - β
> (Please note that if you wish to make changes, we will need
> you to update the SVG as applicable.)
>
> e-02 / e-2
> (For example, "1.0e-02" vs. "2.0e-2" in Tables 2 and 3, respectively) -->
>
> [VG] This is also fine.

Does your reply mean that we should not make any changes?  If consistent expression is desired, please let us know your preference for each.

The latest files are posted here.  Please refresh your browser:

   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9438.txt
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9438.pdf
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9438.html
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9438.xml