Re: [Autoconf] Fwd: WGLC for the AUTOCONF charter

Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl> Tue, 24 August 2010 20:16 UTC

From: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 22:16:25 +0200
To: Thomas Heide Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org>
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Fwd: WGLC for the AUTOCONF charter

I am happy with the dual approach.

Some remarks on the draft text:

It says that "other nodes will relay messages to the central node".
On the list is was discussed the relay function could be co-located on the node itself.
Is such a method rejected?

Typo: No new duplicate address detection mechanisms are will be specified
"are" or  "will be". This is duplicate already :-)

I have problems with:
>> it is expected that address uniqueness is
>> guaranteed by the central node alone.

1) DHCPv6 doesn't work this way. Addresses are managed by the requesting node unique token, the DUID.
2) I have seen many DHCP implementations that use (link-local) probing for duplicate detection. This is for some guarantee for non-duplicates after a reboot and NV-storage. Quite often, CPE devices don't have volatile storage.
3) RFC 3315 specifies usage of DAD by the clients (18.1.8), e.g. for conflict resolving as result of point 2 above.
So the expectation is built on quicksand.
Still, I think it is the right approach. Maybe just remove this sentence?

Teco

Op 21 aug 2010, om 07:50 heeft Thomas Heide Clausen het volgende geschreven: