Re: [Autoconf] Multicast confusion between MANET Arch and AUTOCONF Problem Statement

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 20 November 2007 19:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:11:53 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Emmanuel Baccelli <Emmanuel.Baccelli@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Multicast confusion between MANET Arch and AUTOCONF Problem Statement
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org

Emmanuel Baccelli wrote:
> I agree with Ronald. If there was already an easy definition of what
> is a "MANET link" then the architecture document would not be needed,
>  would it?

I agree with Ronald too that more special mappings between subnets and
links can be made: two subnets on one link, or two links on one subnet.

But I would like the description of the link we're dealing with to be
more precisely described.  We can't simply say that we deal with all
types of wireless and wired links.  That's way too generic.

Saying a link is asymmetric (X reaches Y, Y reaches Z but Z doesn't
reach X) without saying at _what_ layer is it asymmetric: IP or MAC? I
suppose you mean WiFi MAC adhoc mode being asymmetric (3 laptops with
wifi cards in adhoc mode placed linearly at 50m between each).

That is a problem for the link-layer, which can be solved by using a
802.1d bridge on the Y node.

If we want to solve that problem at IP layer then the first thought is
to make a subnet between X and Y and another one between Y and Z.  I
think this is a good IP solution.

But obviously if one makes an IP datagram repeater on Y we obviously get
a link-layer structuring problem with too many packets in the air and no
multicast structure.

I'm trying to say there are simple solutions to that asymmetric
reachability problem that only involve good simple address planning, not
any new protocol.

But if we don't have good agreed definitions then it all turns round and
round.

Sorry, I can't seem to make myself clear...

Alex