default routes in MANETs (was: RE: [Autoconf] Configuring 'default' in Multi-Subnet MANETs)

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Fri, 31 March 2006 21:32 UTC

Subject: default routes in MANETs (was: RE: [Autoconf] Configuring 'default' in Multi-Subnet MANETs)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:32:05 -0800
From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Joe Macker <joseph.macker@nrl.navy.mil>, autoconf@ietf.org
Cc: dthaler@microsoft.com

Joe,

In retrospect, it was more of a general question for
the MANET routing protocols than anything specific to
Multi-Subnet MANETs so I'm going to change the subject
line. I agree that with the proactive routing protocols
the MANET border routers can inject a default route into
the routing protocol and it propagates through the MANET
just fine. (In fact, I now recall that we did this with
TBRPF back in the 2001-2002 timeframe as I'm sure you
have done with any proactive routing protocols you may
be using in your studies.)

However, from reading the globalv6 proposal, it seems
that the landscape may be different for the reactive
protocols. In 'draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-05.txt',
sections 5.3 and 6 the authors assert that special
handling is needed in the reactive protocol case to
establish a default route and direct packets through
a default gateway.

In particular, since the reactive protocols do not
maintain complete topology information at each MANET
router, globalv6 says that nodes sending packets via a
particular MANET border router must insert a routing
header that names the final destination and insert
the address of the MANET border router in the IPv6
destination address. This seems like it would require
a kernel hack to make it work.

So its clear that this discussion is aside from the
question of Multi-Subnet MANETs, but it might be a
differentiator between reactive and proactive protocols
from the standpoint of Internet attachment.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com