Re: [Autoconf] Lining up Autoconf documents

Thomas Clausen <thomas@thomasclausen.org> Wed, 14 November 2007 13:55 UTC

From: Thomas Clausen <thomas@thomasclausen.org>
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Lining up Autoconf documents
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:55:23 +0100
To: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org

Teco, All,

Thanks for your email and your comments. I agree with Teco that it is
important to try to ensure coherence between the different documents,
in particular those which are wg documents. I appreciate
*everybody's* review -- on this and on other matters in these I-Ds --
and feedback on the M-L.

Regarding the suggestion of Teco to accept new I-Ds as wg documents
-- and without passing any judgement on the merits of these documents
in this email -- I want to emphasize two procedural matters:

	o a good start would be to discuss these I-Ds on the 'list, to
understand how
	   the wg feels about those. An I-D becoming a wg document
implicitly means that
	   the wg accepts responsibility for progressing these documents;

	o the AUTOCONF wg has an existing set of work-items to complete, and
has let the
	   milestones slip multiple times.

	   I believe that if the wg was to accept new work-items, then I as
chair would want to
	   be convinced that we were "on track" with our  existing
milestones and that the
	   working group as a whole would be able to assume the
responsibility for carrying
	   those "new" items to completion -- respecting these milestones.

As I said, I am not pronouncing myself on the merits of the documents
in question, but rather am encouraging that we all follow Teco's
example and discuss those on the M-L -- AND that we make an effort on
the already existing milestones to carry those forward.

Cheers,

Thomas

On Nov 14, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Teco Boot wrote:

> Hi,
>

> In some private / public discussions, we struggled with terms
> related to Autoconf.
>
> I think all Autoconf terms shall be defined in autoconf-statement.
> Some terms specific to MANET only may be defined in autoconf-
> manetarch.
>

> I prefer a clear definition on Border Router. Some suggest there is
> a difference in Border Router and Internet Gateway. I understand
> the difference very well, but lacking a defined term for Internet
> Gateway I use Border Router (BR). I suggest lining up both Autoconf
> WG drafts, as they are using the same term for both. And verify
> with the charter, this text use Internet Gateway and not Border
> Router.
>

> On addresses, the Autoconf charter defines very well what is needed:
>
> - unique local addresses
>
> - globally routable unique addresses
>
> The first is called MANET Local Address (MLA) in autoconf-
> statement, I will use this term in a next version of my personal I-D.
>
> For the second one, I introduced MGA, MANET Generated Address. I
> could update this into MANET Global Address, keeping the MGA
> abbreviation and using wording in line with MLA. Any other term is
> OK for me, as long as it is consistently used and well defined.
>

> I think Carlos Bernardos (et alia) has published good documents on
> Autoconf. Lining up terms with these documents doesn't harm. And we
> should discuss accepting these documents as WG docs in Vancouver,
> for being published as informational RFC. I suggest chairs prepare
> a proposal for both draft-bernardos-autoconf-evaluation-
> considerations and draft-bernardos-autoconf-solution-space. AD
> approval could be required, I suggest a break-of-silence procedure
> here.
>

> Cheers, Teco

Thomas Clausen
Thomas@ThomasClausen.org