Re: [AVT] MPEG2-TS preamble - client customization

"Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com> Mon, 22 March 2010 21:42 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:43:15 -0700
From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
To: Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com>, "Bill Ver Steeg (versteb)" <versteb@cisco.com>, "Dave Oran (oran)" <oran@cisco.com>, Peilin YANG <yangpeilin@huawei.com>
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVT] MPEG2-TS preamble - client customization

I truly believe that the first thing we should try to get an agreement
on whether a set of decoder-agnostic TS packets sent by the server
serves our purpose or not. Our purpose at least in our draft is to get
the best out of the preamble, which means faster decoding and shorter
zapping times compared to the scenarios where preamble is not used or
not optimized.

If anybody has a different goal or thinks our goal (as stated above) is
not the right goal, it would be a good idea to clarify it as well. Until
we get a consensus on this issue, discussing other items is pretty
pointless.

Once we are done with this issue, we can then decide on the packaging of
the preamble (TLV encoding vs raw TS packets).

-acbegen

Roni Even